Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15z-ec000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I noticed in my laptop , shutting down and turning on laptop doesn't reset the up time counter in the task manager .

To reset the counter , i have to use restart and not shutdown .

I think counter should update on every shutdown.

how I can solve that ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@irfanahmed0212

I reviewed your post and I understand that the Windows uptime is not resetting when you shut down the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

That's because you might have Fast Startup enabled - it's a hybrid between completely powering off the computer and keeping some important system files cached for faster startup. So, when you shut down, it doesn't completely shut down, which is why the uptime counter doesn't reset after you shut down.

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@irfanahmed0212

I reviewed your post and I understand that the Windows uptime is not resetting when you shut down the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

That's because you might have Fast Startup enabled - it's a hybrid between completely powering off the computer and keeping some important system files cached for faster startup. So, when you shut down, it doesn't completely shut down, which is why the uptime counter doesn't reset after you shut down.

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply

Any idea how to disable fast startup? 

Thankyou!

HP Recommended

@irfanahmed0212

To disable Fast Startup, press the Windows Key + R to bring up the Run dialog, type powercfg.cpl and hit Enter. The Power Options window should appear. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" from the column on the left. 

Scroll down to "Shutdown settings" and uncheck the box for "Turn on fast startup". 

Note: If these options are greyed out then you may need to click "Change settings that are currently unavailable".

Click the "Save changes" button to apply the changes. 

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.