Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 15-ce198wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After the battery swelled, I lost power to my pc.
Does anyone know if the laptop needs a functional battery to turn on? (I can look for a replacement)
Or is it because something else got damaged? (If so, does anyone know if I can send it in to HP and pay?)
My warranty is expired but I'm willing to spend the money to have it fixed.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@pokeface119 

==============================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Reminder to those reading:

Do NOT respond to vermin who post phone numbers or email addresses.

HP does not post phone numbers or email in Community messages.

==============================================================

There is not way to know whether other components are damaged until you remove the battery.

Many notebooks / laptops will work without the battery installed when the computer is connected to AC power.

The risk, of course, is that you are totally dependent on the power staying on. 

Keep your backups Current.

===============================================

"Fat" Battery / Bloated Battery / Swollen Battery – Sealed / Internal Battery

• Swollen battery might be hiding OR there might be evidence that the battery has inflated.  For example, notebook case is warped, touchpad stops working, “odd” bulging near the keyboard.

• If the battery is in a swollen or bloated condition, the battery must be removed from the computer and replaced.  There are no other remedies, tests, or useful options.

HP Commercial and Consumer Notebook PCs - Swelling or Deformation of Notebook Battery

Replacing the Battery

Open

Maintenance and Service Guide

Part(s) and replacement procedure on Page 36

Description                                                                                                                                           Spare part number

4cell, 70Whr, 4.55AH, Li-ion battery for use in products equipped with a N17E GPU         917724-855

3cell, 52.5Whr, 4.55AH, Li-ion battery for use in products equipped with a N17P GPU     L08855-855

HP Collection of “how-to” videos – Battery

Internal Batteries…

HP Support Channel - Collection of “how-to” videos

HP Video Gallery - YouTube

• Use Categories to narrow the results. 
  • Select your Video

Example – Category 

HP PC Service Videos | Remove and Replace Parts

Cntrl-F   Search the page for Replace the Battery or Battery

Find a similar model type to your system > Select and watch your Video

Find / Check for parts at PartSurfer / HP Parts Store

Reference:  HP Notebook PCs - Ordering HP Certified Replacement Parts

PartSurfer might be able to tell you exactly which parts came with your device.

Open PartSurfer

• Select your Country
  • Enter the device Product Number , Serial Number, or Part Number in the Quick Search box
  • HINT: To see a system-specific list, replace the Product Number with your device Serial Number
  • Items accompanied by a tiny box in the Add-to-Cart column are available for purchase

Parts marked as "n/a" are not available from HP.

Parts marked as available for purchase might be available from:  HP Parts Store

OR

If HP does not provide the part for retail purchase,

Use your search engine to find a compatible replacement at your favorite online store.

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

OMEN by HP - 15-ce198wm 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi@pokeface119, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the replacement battery. 

You may order the replacement parts on the HP Parts Store, use the HP Parts Surfer to find the part number and If you've already looked for it and couldn't find it on the HP Parts Store, you may want to get it locally at the online store such as Amazon or eBay, etc...as the part numbers are universal. 

  

Alternatively, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started: 

  

1) Click on this link

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step: 

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Click on "Show Options". Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself! 

  

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, here's how private messages work: Click here for details.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.