Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15" I7 9750H & 2060
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I have been getting CPU power throttling, I don't get thermal throttling or anything like that. Can see this when I run the cpu test through xtu. Has anyone got a fix? Only had this 3 days and can be a bit annoying. 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@TM67,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Are you facing any issues when running any game or application?

Meanwhile, I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Follow the steps in the below article to update the BIOS.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI The_Fossette,

I have just installed the new BIOS(AMI F.12, 10/06/2019), I then run the CPU stress test(XTU) after about 45 seconds it starts to show the power throttle issue, then the CPU slows down the clock down. I only ever get the CPU Power throttle, temps etc only hit about 65-78oc. Is there anything else you can recommend? Apart from this issue the laptop runs as it should.

Thanks

Thomas.

HP Recommended

@TM67,

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I tried that link, only chat option I get is a virtual one. here is  a screenshot of the issue. as you can see the temps are around 80/85oc.

clipboard_image_0.png

HP Recommended

The power throttle happens because the i7-9750h is designed to sustain 45w long term. If you have turbo boost active, watts will go up to 60w for a short period of time, after that, it will throttle down to 45w. You can see this actually in Intel XTU.

Temperatures do not matter in this case, since the CPU is designed to power throttle irrespective of the temperatures.

Now, there are two things to consider with Omen:

1. You can actually change the power levels, i.e. you can increase the maximum watts levels via XTU or Throttlestop. Unfortunately, Omen has locked those values so you won't be able to change them unless there is a BIOS update to support this.

2. Omen has actually set the long term thermal design power from 45w to 35w, which is below what Intel recommends. This is what happened in your case as well, as you can see that you get a maximum of 35w in XTU. Again, as long as there is no BIOS update, you won't be able to change that as well.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thanks for the response, yeah I sent the pic to show HP what was happening. I did update the bios but unfortunately this didn't change anything. It starts to throttle after about 45 seconds. It's just a bit annoying to have it do it and then effect games. I've had about 4/5 gaming laptops over the years and this is the first time it's started to happen to me. Don't know what to do about it now(nothing I can do anyway).

Thanks 

HP Recommended

They won't do anything, since this is the way the laptops were designed. You can download HWInfo and you will see under "configurable TDP (down)" that HP set the long term power limit to 35w. Nothing you can do about it, it's locked.

It's really strange for a gaming notebook manufacturer to go below what Intel recommends (maybe because of the poor cooling solution, who knows?), but Omen did it and all we can do is to wait for a BIOS update or accept it or return it.

HP Recommended

Yeah it's strange, dnt understand why this would do this really. If that's the way they want to do it then why put that cpu inside?. Why not change for a less powerful one that you wouldn't need to do this. Then you could I don't know increase the cooling on a more demanding machine.

Might return it then, not sure what one I would get now . Would need to do a bit of research on laptops that don't lock the TDP, or that just have a higher overall base.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Just install HP OMEN Command Center and SDK Package HP Omen Control Center from official site, then go to performance control and change mode to ,,performance". 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.