Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone, 

I recently bought a laptop, an Omen 17, with an Intel i7-9750H and RTX 2080. When playing some games, like Star Wars: The Fallen Order, the CPU temperatures damble around 85-95 °C with spikes that go up to 100, all the while showing a CPU usage of only 20-30% meaning it's not even being properly stressed, if I'm not mistakened. I'm also not even using the Command Center's Performance Mode, it's at balanced, plus the laptop is resting in a simple cooling pad with a couple of fans.

All I want to know is if this is normal or should I be worried?

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi - I have a 10th gen 2080 super and have got exactly the same issue. I was looking to under volt the CPU but it looks like the bios on the 10th gen locks this feature therefore I will send the machine back as it is too hot in my honest opinion. Its funny really as the ambient temps are 10% lower than my other laptop. One positive for you though is I think you can under volt on your 9th gen which will reduce temps.

HP Recommended

@tiverPT Click here for steps to resolve overheating issues, you could try reducing the resolution on the in-game settings and switch the windows settings to performance rather than visual effects to make a minor change, however, the game may heat up your PC, hence make sure you are using a cooling pad as well, to be on a safer side.

Here's how you change windows settings:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and Ok...this should do the trick.

I must let you know that its normal for a gaming PC to heat up, and with an Intel CPU such as the one you have, there's nothing to worry about, for details on why you don't need to worry, look under Tjunction of the CPU, it supports up to 100°C.

@Richardgee1 The same goes for your device too, click here to view your CPU specs.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry but 100 degrees is too high - its thermal throttling - it either needs better cooling or to be able to undervolt simple as that, sorry.

HP Recommended

@Richardgee1 If you feel that doesn't cut it, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.