Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavillion gaming 15-cx00
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok, I'm going to try to make this not sound like a confused mess, but I don't know if it's possible.  Anyway, gaming laptop, I-5, 8th gen, on board Intel,  plus nvidia dedicated, 8gbram, windows 10-64 home (I know, stop laughing).  Ok, I'm going to preface what it's doing now by telling you about an ongoing problem that may or may not be related. When I connect my charger, a lot of times the charging light is blue, indicating a fully charged battery when it is not even close. When it does this at times, the only way I can get it to charge with the yellow light is to shut down or sleep the laptop, then connect it.  I've done diagnostic and troubleshooting but every test says the battery is fine. SO, fast forward to now when I shut it down or slept it, I honestly don't remember which and left it to charge overnight.  Woke up,  light had changed from yellow to blue, great. Tried starting up, not great. When I start it, the screen remains black and the power light starts blinking like it's sleeping or hibernating, after just a few seconds.  I've tried several different ways of starting it, plugged, unplugged, hitting delete, f1, f8, anything and all I have sometimes done is delay the power light from blinking for an extra few seconds,  at best.  Please help before I lose my mind. Thank you in advance for any help with this problem. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Mowolfon

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8. (do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)

BIOS default:

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to answer and I'm doing so before I've tried any of the troubleshooting steps and here's why- As far as hardware/software changes,  it's almost impossible to tell because I'm always in my system one way or the other,  but more importantly because it's actually happened once or twice before and then just gone away (sorry I failed to mention that at first).  In fact, shortly after I posted,  I tried it again and it fired up normally EXCEPT now there's a different problem that is almost as frustrating.   I've had a problem with the battery thinking its 100% when it's not, intermittently for a while and it also comes and goes,  but NOW the only way I can get the charge light to yellow is if the computer is off or sleeping. It runs unplugged,  but if I plug it in, the charge light goes blue and will not register that it's even plugged in. With the machine off, however it charges just fine, but I have only one charge worth of time on it to do anything.  I've done all the diagnostics,  tried different plug combos (different outlets, with or without power strips, etc). If you think I should still go through the steps,  I will,  but I just wanted to check with you first.  Thank you for your help. 

HP Recommended

@Mowolfon

Thank you for posting back. 

I would suggest completing the troubleshooting steps will isolate the failure if it's a hardware related issue then you can ship the unit in for repair. 

Have a nice day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.