Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

do you have any idea when will they release new update

HP Recommended

No one knows when it will be released.

HP Recommended

why is this https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/RANDOM-SHUTDOWN-AFTER-BIOS-UPDATE/td-p/7714583/page/2... thread is being closed. Where I should check the news about this issues? 

I really hate this issue!

HP Recommended

We are sending letters to the management of HP !

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

Let them pay attention to the problem.

HP Recommended

I have the same problems of all of you and my temporary workaround is Ryzen Controller with Temperature Limit capped at 75°C.

I can confirm what another user posted: if I manually set the fans to the maximum speed, the system immediately hibernate itself, even if the temperature was around 45°C.

Windows Event Logger says the temperature was 100°C (_HOT = 373K), but its clearly wrong.

My 2 cents: in the bugged BIOS, they swapped references to fan and temperature value, so the system believes the CPU temperature is 100°C and triggers the shutdown/hibernation, but it's not! The fan is the one at 100 (%, not °C of course), not the CPU.

I'm a software developer, so I know that wrong references could happen 😀

Maybe it's not a wrong reference, but it seems related to the maximum speed of the fan, rather than the real temperature (and it could explain why shutdowns happen at variable temperatures). Maybe fans at maximum speed are absorbing too much power and interferes with temperature values communication, I don't know.

These are my steps:

• Downloaded and installed Notebook Fan Control
  • Selected config for HP Pavilion 17 (even if my PC is Pavilion Gaming 15).
  • Set Enabled (not read-only) and moved the slider to 100%.
  • Fans speed up, but no shutdown.
  • Noted that fans are not as loud as they are when my pc usually shutdown
  • Opened Notebook Fan Control Config Editor and edited the config to match my fans very 100% speed.
  • Loaded HP Pavilion 17 preset. In Fan Configuration tab, raised up Max speed to 110. Saved this profile as HP Pavilion Gaming 15.
  • Returned to the app, loaded my profile, set fan to maximum.
  • The speed is read as "180%" (or something similar) and now it's very loud!
  • BOOM! System shutdown, even if the temp was around 46°C.

In Windows System Events, I can read (sorry, my OS is italian):

Ibernazione del sistema a causa di un evento critico relativo alla temperatura.

Ora ibernazione = ‎2020‎-‎08‎-‎27T14:13:05.801986200Z 

Zona termica ACPI = \_TZ.THRM 

_HOT = 373K

You can test other fan control software, this is the first I was able to get working.

Maybe we could test if setting the fan at fixed speed just below the maximum speed could avoid system reboots.

My PC complete specs:

HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec0024nl

Ryzen 5 3550H

GFX 1650 Max-Q

32GB RAM (updated aftermarket - 2x16GB Crucial 3200MHz)

Stock 512GB NVMe + 1TB SSD Sata (added aftermarket)

HP Recommended
did you the test with limited fan speed to e.g. 90% ?

HP Recommended

I'm doing tests now.

90% is not suitable: fans are working by steps and not in linear manner (not 1 point percent by 1), so 90% means max speed, as far as I can tell.

You have to find the step before the maximum speed according to fan loudness.

I set the speed around the 50-60%, temperatures are good (below 70°), clock speed is around 3GHz.

CPU temperature limit is set to 75° by Ryzen Controller.

HP Recommended

you are right step by step, I think about whether while playing the game setting a limit of 80% fan speed will cause a crash.

HP Recommended

Hi,
I hope the one reading the email is in good health!
This is regarding the new bios update the consumers received and the irresponsible behaviour of hp team!
After receiving the bios update f.08 the system hibernates randomly, there has been many theories on the cause such as higher temperature, higher fanspeed etc, but no solutions yet!
Many forums has been opened by the consumer in your official websites, the one which got the most views and responses has been closed by hp saying, no recent response!!
I can understand that a system update can cause issues, and that's okay, but i dont understand the unprofessional behaviour and the irresponsible act hp team has showed to their customers!
This makes me very sad!
You could have posted a notice regarding the fix, instead of quietly removing the update from the software download page!

I hope this mail reaches to the appropriate person.

This is the message i have sent them

HP Recommended

@AmeenBari wrote:

Hi,
I hope the one reading the email is in good health!
This is regarding the new bios update the consumers received and the irresponsible behaviour of hp team!
After receiving the bios update f.08 the system hibernates randomly, there has been many theories on the cause such as higher temperature, higher fanspeed etc, but no solutions yet!
Many forums has been opened by the consumer in your official websites, the one which got the most views and responses has been closed by hp saying, no recent response!!
I can understand that a system update can cause issues, and that's okay, but i dont understand the unprofessional behaviour and the irresponsible act hp team has showed to their customers!
This makes me very sad!
You could have posted a notice regarding the fix, instead of quietly removing the update from the software download page!

I hope this mail reaches to the appropriate person.

This is the message i have sent them

I agree!

I can understand the developers need time to find and fix the problem, but at least they could re-publish the old F.05 bios with a new date and name (F.09?), so everybody can easily flash a good old working bios...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.