Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15-EN0001AX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i'm using my HP omen EN0001AX for the past month or so, and everything seems great. However, when I try to run games on battery power, the FPS drop like hell. Even in games like GTAV, i get a mere 15-20 FPS (i.e. when on battery power)

CPU - RYZEN 4600H

GPU - NVIDIA GEFORCE 1650Ti

I understand that when on battery, the system limits the GPU TDP so as to enhance battery life, but in my case, the games become almost un-playable. 

When using UNIGINE Heaven Benchmark, I get 40-45 FPS on extreme setting when plugged in  but they drop to a staggering 9-10 FPS  when on battery power.

Same goes for the processor. When plugged in , it stays at 4 GHZ mark when under full load. But when on Battery power, it throttles at around 3.3-3.5 GHZ.

I tried changing every possible setting (NVIDIA Control Panel, Windows power management etc) but none of then helped in the regard. The performance on battery power remained poor.

One more thing I'd like to add is that, when I turn the machine on, and start something immediately, the CPU and GPU work as expected and on full power, but as soon as I plug the machine in and unplug it, everything throttles back down .

Is it the way it is meant to be , or is there something wrong with the settings?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'm not sure, but it could be that you just can't get full performance on battery power. The laptop might be limiting clocks peeds to CPU/GPU to save power, maybe even because the battery can't provide the 100W+ you laptop draws at full load. If this limit is done at the firmware/BIOS level you won't be able to change this using the Windows settings.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Magatsukami1101 

Please give your machine to use 100% performance when using battery. Please try

(a) Right click battery icon,

(b) Select power options,

(c) Look at your current Power settings and select Change Plan settings,

(d) Click Change advanced settings,

(e) Expand Processor Power Management,

(f) Expand Maximum processor state and select 100% on battery,

(g) Click Apply then OK,

(h) Click Save Change .

Note: You can save as a different Plan

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,  @Banhien

As already mentioned, I have changed each and every setting that I could (including this one) but none of them works. 

HP Recommended

I'm not sure, but it could be that you just can't get full performance on battery power. The laptop might be limiting clocks peeds to CPU/GPU to save power, maybe even because the battery can't provide the 100W+ you laptop draws at full load. If this limit is done at the firmware/BIOS level you won't be able to change this using the Windows settings.

HP Recommended

I need a new battery what’s the best route to go

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.