Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

@Ntkernel 
But the problem is not only the ethernet adapter, more problems I encounter are random BSOD on startup after installing a new driver or windows version, so I needed to stop all auto updates.
Also I get a BSOD if I open GPU-Z, install Ryzen Master SDK or the Omen command center SDK.
And Vulkan does not work in any game, as a result of this issue.
The problem is the Bug in the BIOS and you can get any random crashes freezes and weird behavior where you had no problem before with any update. Thats why it is so infuriating to work with such a machine, everything you do might break your installation

HP Recommended

Here's the details of what happened with me.

Literally the first thing I did on opening the laptop was update the BIOS to the latest F.07

I then ran all windows updates as well as those via hp support assistant.

As soon as I turned on virtualisation platform I had BSOD every boot. Had to disable SVM in the Bios to get back in and disable again.

I then tried a number of re-installs using the cloud recovery all with the same BSOD result.

Also tried one with just a stock fresh windows 10 install too, same BSOD result.

Next install I tried doing some updates in a different order and also removing the Ryzen Master SDK which some forums said could cause the BSOD. Little did I realise after removing it that when Windows Store updated to the newest Omen Command Center it reinstalled it. (Seems it ships with command center even for those models that don't support the one click overclocking tab),  Therefore had the BSOD again.

Another install later, I removed Ryzen master both times, then installed some updates (cant remember which now) and enabled Virtualisation Platform - this time no BSOD but my WIFI isn't working 😞 not good.

Another install later, did the same thing but yet again enabled virtualisation platform early on and did the updates in a certain order. Now no BSOD but Wifi works and Ethernet doesn't.

So I am now in the same boat, WSL2 is working and I have wifi, and can live without the ethernet  (for now). But this is still no excuse not to fix it.

I read in other forums - for other manufacturers with the same issues - those users who had access to set the reserved IGP memory in the bios found that setting it to anything other than 256mb solved the issue for them.

In the case of XMG laptops (I think it was), sure that link is referenced in this thread somewhere, they really did a great job on investigating this for their users and found the issue was also related to the reserved memory / UMA problem.

As its affecting other manufacturers, intel networking hardware, realtek networking hardware, BSOD, sometimes wifi sometimes ethernet I doubt at all its a driver issue

I have to say though apart from this I really have had no issues with the laptop, no loud random fans, they only get loud when gaming and even then its not so bad. No random behaviour at all really. Sure the fans sometimes spin up slightly for a few seconds now and then but no more than my desktop ryzen 3rd gen does when it boosts suddenly.

HP Recommended

I completely agree with @Netzwerkfehler, this bug just causes too many problems and BSODs and you can never know what an update will cause or when your system will break.

Today's story: I installed a game today for the first time since buying this laptop in October I wanted to chill a bit after work, lo and behold, BSOD. Turns out it uses a popular anti-cheat software called BattlEye (https://www.battleye.com/) and it does not really work well with this BIOS bug. I wasn't even surprised. I truly cannot comprehend what HP is really thinking.

HP Recommended

IT IS FINALLY FIXED! I can't believe it
There was indeed a Bios update today distributed with windows update, don't ask me why or why it does not show up on the driver site, but it seems to solve all my issues.

Thank you all for drawing attention to this issue!

HP Recommended

WHAT!? I don't believe it! Haha gonna go check and then I'll be back to apologize to Echo_Lake 🙂

@Netzwerkfehler I don't have anything ☹️ which model do you have again?

HP Recommended

It seems that finally word got through to BIOS devs (is it Quanta Computer?) and HP pushed out an update. Took like half a year?

My model hasn't got the update yet though, but I hope every model will get this sooner or later.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=UEFI%5CRES_%7B11bdf49e-a358-424a-873c-a115a02...

Still I lost complete trust in HP.

HP Recommended

I have the HP OMEN 15-en0169ng, thats the model with Ryzen 7 4800h and RTX 2060, maybe I got it a bit earlier because I'm on the windows insider dev channel, but it is coming!

Update package name was: HP Inc. - Firmware - 15.12.0.0

HP Recommended

Ok. Great! I have the HP OMEN 15-en0171ng

Theres actually a screenshot over at https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/5911 where the update is dated 2021/02/06, its still the 5th here in Europe and I am currently opted out of the insider builds so maybe it will push tomorrow for me.

Thanks everyone for keeping this issue alive, and to @Echo_Lake I sincerely from the bottom of my heart apologise, you told us an update would push through windows update and I doubted you. Sorry 🙂

HP Recommended

Subscribing to Windows Insider Dev channel allowed to receive BIOD update, but laptop has halted during the update and corrupted BIOS. So be careful and prepare the recovery USB flash in advance.

BTW, could someone please help me with BIOS recovery? I need the BIOS recovery USB disk content for F.07 Rev.A.

From 3 BIOS versions available for the download: sp104151.exe (F.02 Rev.A), sp107259.exe (F.06 Rev.A) and sp110332.exe (F.07 Rev.A) only BIOS_Update.exe from sp104151.exe starts on the computer different from HP Omen. I have tried 3 different PCs and a couple of VMs (one of them was AMD EPYC)...

HP Recommended

Which model you need this for?

I fortunately had no issues updating the BIOS after jumping into the beta ring. Everything working correctly now 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.