Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I am trying to install Hyper-V on my machine, however it is causing BSOD and I have to uninstall it and then I am able to boot. I am using the official Windows 10 provided by HP recovery tool. Is anyone else facing the same issue? Please guide.

Thanks.

Edit: I am unable to install Docker too on this machine. I am sure, if anyone has this machine is able to reproduce this same issue.

57 REPLIES 57
HP Recommended

@PankajN

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need the product number of your computer.

Follow the steps in the below article to find the product details.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette, the product id is: 1N1G1PA#ACJ.

Thanks. 

HP Recommended

@PankajN

Thank you for the information.

I recommend you boot to BIOS and enable the SVM Mode/Virtualization in the BIOS and check whether the issue is resolved.

Let me know how it goes.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @The_Fossette, I double checked the bios - virtualization is enabled in it. It is not disabled.

I wanted to give you an update, I tried downloading the Windows ISO and installed the clean OS from the bootable drive I made. Now it does not seem to crash, however it does not shut down. There has to be an issue with the BIOS itself, I request you to check with the bios team, also, you can try it on a spare device you have for testing, it will confirm that there is a bios issue. I had to download the official ISO image because the one which HP recovery always causes BSOD when I enable the virtualization platform. I request you  to please solve this, this one is a mid-high range model and we do not expect it to crash in such a way, I purchased windows 10 pro license just to get these features and now my hardware is not capable which makes me sad. I hope you understand the situation I am going through, please try it on same model and you will be able to debug and fix it with a BIOS patch.

Awaiting solution.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@PankajN

The issue seems to be with all the AMD Ryzen processors and you can read about the same in the AMD community.

To fix this issue there are two options in the BIOS which you need to enable and then you should be able to use Hyper V on the computer. I have tested running Sandbox and it is working fine.

You need to change the UMA memory size to "Auto" (By default it will be 128MB) and it should work fine on the computer.

Let me know how it goes.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @The_Fossette,

I have attached the screenshots from the bios, I cannot find the UMA memory option and in one screenshot you can verify that the virtualization is enabled.

Please guide the next steps.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuJ2sQRo0eZ4i5Nms6dJx2i0vHr8AA?e=xh8fIH - No UMA option

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuJ2sQRo0eZ4i5NoTiXO2AqBu15CSA?e=lKqiiP - Virtualization enabled

I edited since the photos were removed.

HP Recommended

@PankajN

The issue is with memory allocation. I recommend you look for that option in the BIOS and change it to "AUTO". On the laptop I tested I was getting 256MB, 512MB, and AUTO option. 

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @The_Fossette, thank you, however, I cannot find the option for it, can you please check the attachment in previous post for BIOS settings, can you please point me to the correct option over there? I couldn't find the option myself.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@PankajN

Looks for the video memory option in the BIOS and let me know the options you are getting. In case if you do not see this option share the screenshots of all the BIOS options you are getting.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.