Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The name of my laptop is, Hp pavilion gaming laptop 15-dk1xxx

Currently an M.2 SSD has either one of three key types: B, M or B+M. This is what I am  referring to.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP only has the service manual for the older model series on your notebook's support page.

HP Pavilion Gaming 15-dk1000 Laptop PC series Manuals | HP® Customer Support

If you look at chapter 1 of the maintenance and service guide, the older models have M.2 slots that support NVMe drives.

Yours would be the same...NVMe.

NVMe SSD's have one notch.  SATA SSD's have two.

HP Recommended

I am currently looking into the manual as we speak and thank you. But how do I find the M.2 key type is it B, M or B+M, this is all so very new to me and a learning experience. The goal is it put a SSD in the M.2 slot.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The M.2 slot your PC has is a M-Key, which enables using up to 4 PCIe lanes.

You want to install a NVMe SSD as I had replied earlier.  Something like this...

Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics (MZ-V8V500B/AM) 980 SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid St...

I do not see by looking in the manual that your PC supports both SATA and NVMe SSD's, so the slot is not a B+M key or a B-Key.

A “B-Key” enables SATA or PCIe NVMe™ SSDs using up to 2 PCIe lanes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.