Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 15 ec1001na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

My usual WIFI download speed is 200mb and 30ms in game, but for the past month, my WIFI speed drops at random times. I have tried many fixes, but they only fix the issue temporarily. For instance, reinstalling my network adapter(realtek rtl8821ce 802.11ac pcie adapter), installing the network drivers off of the HP website, and I have even resorted to doing a full factory reset last Saturday. The factory reset fixed my WIFI speed for 4 days but again whilst I was playing video games, my ping randomly spiked to 300ms and my WIFI has slowed down.

I'm not too sure what the cause of this issue is, I'm thinking maybe a dodgy update? I have uninstalled recent updates and reinstalled them, but this has only fixed my WIFI speed for a couple of hours before slowing down again. I'm 99% sure this issue originates from the laptop as the WIFI on my other devices have been fine.

PS. I have already tried the solutions provided on the HP help page.

Hope to hear back soon!

Many thanks,

Ochai

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I still have warranty, is it worth sending my laptop back in?

HP Recommended

@Ochai

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the wireless connection.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I see that you have already performed all the relevant troubleshooting steps and I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @The_Fossette 

Thank you for the response, I will call them up tomorrow and let you know what happens!

HP Recommended

@Ochai

Thank you for keeping me posted.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Ochai  If you haven't called them yet, I would like to add a suggestion. HP offers an Intel version WiFi driver for your series also. I would ask the support agent you speak with, if its possible the Realtek be swapped with an Intel card? Its worth asking, all they can say is yes, no or maybe.

As far as I'm concerned, Realtek WiFi is riddled with issues like this. I switch all my systems over to Intel when I get them. Problems are solved.

HP Recommended

Hi @The_Fossette and @Photoray002,

I did a factory reset on my router and my WIFI speed was good for over a day I was hopeful that my problems had finally disappeared but just now the WIFI has slowed down again on my laptop. 

Also, even if it is possible to swap the Realtek card to an Intel card, how would I go about it? Where am I able to find this card and I'm not good with laptops at all, I have no prior experience with dismantling and building PCs so I'm worried I will mess up and make things worse. Is it possible that an update/patch will come out in the future to address the problems with the WIFI card, though I'm not really sure how long I can wait- it's already been quite stressful for the past few weeks!

I shall call back again tomorrow to see if it's possible to swap the Realtek card or see if there are any alternative fixes.

Many thanks,

Ochai

HP Recommended

Also, I don't know if this is relevant but the lady from HP told me to update my BIOS from the HP software and drivers section as my system information said my BIOS version/date was from AMI F.20 4th November 2020. After downloading the more recent BIOS update, which was from December 8th 2020, my system info still says the BIOS date is 4th November 2020 so I don't know if this update actually went through or not.

HP Recommended

If your bios is version F.20, then you are good.  The date of it making might be different that what the drivers page says.

The big problem with the lower end laptops like the pavilion series is the part design. Some have single antenna setups, some double. Your Realtek card shows it most likely is single on the web, some show double. The only way to know is to open the case and physically look at it. It can either have only one wire connected or it has two connectors. If you're lucky, its might be one connector but the laptop has a second wire that's just hanging to the side not in use.

The Intel cards HP used in that series use two antennas and would not be a good idea to try to use if your laptop only has one antenna. Those cards are a cheap fix and if it didn't work, you are not out much. I would rather you look and see what you have before I recommend what to get. 

Page 28 shows how to access the inside... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06446633.pdf

An alternative that's about as cheap and MUCH easier to deal with is a simple USB WiFi adapter. TP Link is a lower cost brand but has some pretty good devices (for example). You could go that route if you are more comfortable that way.

You would disable the current wifi card in the Device Manager first, then install the drivers for the USB version.

Here is an example... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-T2U-Plus-Windows10-10-9-10-14/dp/B07PJV66CN/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2AOW6AO3...\

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-1300Mbps-HUET-Wireless-10-9-10-15/dp/B08HYC1NP9/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pro...

Hope that is understandable.   🙂

HP Recommended

Ah ok, thank you! I will note this down.

I just got off the phone with HP and I asked them about the Realtek card and possibly changing it/ getting a USB WIFI adapter and they told me that they are sending me a USB stick with the original drivers and windows that my laptop originally had when I first purchased it as it might be a software issue, and that if the issue persists then they will look further into issues with the laptop components.

Many thanks,

Ochai

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.