Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN HP 15-dc0005nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A month or so ago, I've been having issues with Windows activation. The system keeps deactivating itself after a random period of time. A troubleshooter usually fixed the issue, however recently it has stopped working. I used the virtual agent. That's also stopped working after a few weeks. The Microsoft Store fixes the issue usually however I want to know how do I stop this from happening? I asked on the Microsoft forums and I've been told it's an OEM issue so I came here to look for answers. 

The error code for the troubleshooter is 0x80070005. I've had this laptop for around half a year. This is an Omen 15  (1050 ti 4GB model from 2018 I think?). I'm connected via Wi-Fi by all times if that helps and the last updated installed is KB4601554.

Please help,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't work.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be that you back up any files you need to save onto a portable hard drive, and reinstall W10.

Use the cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Install the free showkey plus utility and see if changing the W10 installed key to the W10 OEM key in the report resolves the problem.

Get ShowKeyPlus - Microsoft Store

Go to settings>Update & Security>Activation>Change product key. 

Enter the W10 OEM product key from the showkey plus report.

HP Recommended

This might be a pretty dumb question but is this software safe? I don't think I trust it. 

HP Recommended

Yes it is safe, or it would not be available from the Microsoft store.

I have used it for years myself on all of my PC's that have a Windows product key in the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Okay, I changed the key to the OEM one like you mentioned. I'll get back to you in a day or so to confirm if this worked.

HP Recommended

Okay so I'm back; This solution didn't work. The problem came back.

HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't work.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be that you back up any files you need to save onto a portable hard drive, and reinstall W10.

Use the cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.