John_Zimmer
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

gray bar flickering

HP Recommended
pavilion-15 laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

recently my pc has started to randomly flicker on boot and occasionally just sitting on the desktop. it will go black and gray bars will flash across the screen. there is a slight bit of screen separation on the bottom left of my laptop screen, it is just under 3 inches. is this a display issue or is it a GPU issue?

product number: 4PY21UA

thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,665 12,443 1,306 4,290
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @John_Zimmer 

I would have no way of knowing. There could be a multitude of reasons and I'm guessing you are out of warranty also.

If it will boot normally most of the time, rapidly tap the F2 key at power-on to access the UEFI Diagnostics Tools. Go to Component Tests and run these three tests for System Board, Video and Memory.

HP How to use Diagnostics

If no error is found, connect an external monitor to the HDMI port and see how it reacts.

If the external does not have the issue, its a good bet your panel, or the cable connector inside is loose or failing.

If the external does have the issue, something on the motherboard is failing (most likely the graphics card).

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation