Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Similar to the other posts - my screen flickers with intensive games.

i have changed display resolution, refresh rate, and update all the drivers - most recent driver is 4/5/2021 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080.

i noticed this screen going black/flickering 2 months after purchase.

i have done a factory reset, bios changes, and everything in between with no effect.

there was a 1 day reprieve of this when all games played as expected, then that expired.

the flickering/blackout always happens when loading screens for Warcraft, or full city loads on Talespire. 

it also sometimes happens randomly during normal game play of any games, but a hard reboot resolves this temporarily.

this happens for both fullscreen mode and windowed mode.

windows 10, 64bit, all drivers are updated, os is patched, laptop is regularly rebooted.

my guess is it might have to do with workload of the laptop, when resources are heavily taxed, the laptop gets lazy.

i have started tracking resource use and performance to match, but so far, there isnt a correlation. 

it happens when i have only the game open or if i have 10 apps open.

also, if i open a new window - like notepad or something any other application that can be viewed with the game in the background; like having the blizzard game launcher app/window as the primary focus, while the game is in window mode in the background, the screen wont flicker/blackout.

but, as soon as you switch back, the screen flickers/blacks out

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Im trying to understand the support / service of this website.

Why would the site recommend graphic drivers that are 7 months older than the one that i have installed?

graphix.jpg

<image is a standard .jpg 384kb - apparently, the site can't even load that> 

HP Recommended

@dysjunction

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Next run the SFC Scan https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-10-365e0031-36b1-60...

If the issue persists please run an Extensive System Test

Shut down the Notebook completely

- Turn it back on, then tap the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup menu screen is displayed.

- Press F2 to select System Diagnostics.

- Click System Tests, then click Extensive Test.

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply and the guidance!

And just to to be sure, you are not related to the animated and musically creative Crazyfrog are you? - his Axel F rendition was pretty cool!

I downloaded the HPSA, and found I only needed 2 updates: HP Connection Optimizer and HP PC HW diag - neither related to graphix.

I then ran the scan both from M$ and from the reboot - EST; both passed.

Im ready for next steps...

HP Recommended

Thanks for keeping me posted ☺️

Try using the NVidia Auto detect tool to check for the drivers from NVidia directly https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

As previously mentioned:

driver is up to date

Driver File Version: 27.21.0014.6230 (English)
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6230
Driver Date/Size: 4/4/2021 7:00:00 PM, 1049064 bytes

HP Recommended

At this point I suggest you contact HP Support in your region for service options

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.