Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Palin1
Level 2
20 9 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

8600 pro has problem with ink; contact HP. Message after replacing a cartridge with AtlanticInkJet

8600 plus pro
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Had this problem once before upon inserting non-HP cartridge. The 8600 locks with error message then cycles w other notes about all 4 carts are missing or damaged; carts are counterfeit or damaged; etc! Last time I finally got notice that HP starter set was required to re-set printer which worked well for the past 6 yrs. Sure enough, HP sent starter and the 8600 simply started with no problems until I tried to use an Atlantic inkjet replacement cart.

HP software goes thru numerous requests to reset, pull power cord/plug back in; clean chips, clean head, carts are missing; carts may have been sold as counterfeit; carts are damaged, contact HP (no tel #/ beyond warranty period/ use the forum, etc).

I no longer use the page counter for refill notice nor set the chips to lock if stolen!  Several comments suggest throwing  the 8600 out rather than get caught in the software dilemma; Only HP provides starter kits which are programmed for NEW printers only.  I would welcome a  reasonable cost-effective suggestion  to get it printing again .  Suggestions?

What can I do?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,022 12,002 795 788
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

8600 pro has problem with ink; contact HP. Message after replacing a cartridge with AtlanticInkJet

@Palin1

HP does not recommend using 3rd party ink cartridges and cannot guarantee their functionality or print quality.

You could try updating the Firmware and check. Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Keep me posted. Thank you 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
Palin1
Level 2
20 9 1 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I checked the firmware status using Print & Scan Dr before posting my question. The site says all firmware is up to date. The incident started with printer notice that one or more carts were missing or defective. The black cart sounded empty when shaken but the other three had some ink that I could hear while shaking. I replaced the black cart but then received messages that all four carts were missing or defective. It goes downhill after that. The messages seem random and keep changing with no consistency or help other than do the standard reset: pull power cord, wait, insert repeat...

Print & Scan Dr shows all carts with various amounts of ink but a yellow triangle now shows on the black cart which is FULL! I I also replaced two of the other carts which were low but the 8600 continues to report ink problem/ contact HP and indicate the error code but there is no error code. This sure seems like another HP software-cartridge issue.

The last time this happened it simply required a starter set from HP to reactivate the printer. When the printer works..it's great.  When the software starts seeing missing/defective/ counterfeit carts, it goes down hill fast.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,751 5,738 425 463
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Palin1

This looks like a hardware issue. 

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation