Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8028e All-in-One Printer

My OfficeJet Pro 8028e has been on Instant Ink since I bought it around 6 months ago. The Instant Ink free trial expired so I added my payment info and re-enrolled but keep getting the error "This cartridge can only be used in a printer that is currently enrolled in HP Instant Ink".

I've been through hours of troubleshooting steps on my own and with HP Support. Everything is set up correctly and my account is showing that Instant Ink is active but the existing cartridges simply will no longer work.

HP Support is sending me new cartridges which I'm assured will fix the issue but, until they arrive, the printer is useless. The existing cartridges are still pretty full so this also seems like a huge waste of ink - not to mention time and effort.

Like the HP Smart software (HP Dumb would be more apt), Instant Ink is great in theory but awful in practice. I'll give the replacement cartridges a try but basically ready to disconnect the printer from all "smart" services and buy cartridges retail. Next time I'll probably go for a printer without all the cloud services. In HP's case they're just too slow and flaky to rely on.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @danyg0,

Welcome to HP Support Community. 
Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I see that you are facing issues with your HP OfficeJet Pro 8028e printer using instant ink cartridges wherein you get the message “Cartridge cannot be used until printer is enrolled in HP Instant Ink”.

Please follow the steps from this weblink: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06308185 

I hope this helps.
Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.