08-11-2019 07:24 AM - last edited on 08-13-2019 05:01 AM by NitM
So I have been battling this issue for quite some time... I have had an HP Envy 5542 for maybe a year and a half. I used instant ink since I am a teacher it is the cheapest way for me to print classroom materials. I am losing my mind, however, as I can no longer print color. I had an older macbook when I bought this printer and have since switched to the microsoft surface go. I had no problems originally after I installed the drivers on the computer, but now when I try to print from the computer it will only print in black and white. For shiggles I tried printing from my phone, and that printed in color. I have uninstalled every driver for this printer and reinstalled, I have cleaned the cartridges, realigned, reset, checked the ink, and basically any other suggestion that I found online. I am getting frustrated that nothing is helping me. When I go into my settings, they're all set as color; they are not set to black and white or monochrome (Or whatever that's called).
I am really not trying to spend money on a new printer. I have to go back to work in 2 weeks and have several things I need to make for my classroom since we are going from a class size of 15 to 23.
Solved! Go to Solution.
08-13-2019 01:53 PM
Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,
As you're able to print from the phone and not from the computer this definitely looks like the settings or driver related.
Let's try these steps here:
Let's run HP Print and Scan Doctor -
Click on this link to download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor
If the issue persists, Let's uninstall the printer from the root level and then reinstall it.
- Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
- Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
- Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
- Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
- Now check for issue resolution.
- If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
- First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
- Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
- Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
- Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
- Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
- Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
- Restart your computer.
- If you're running Windows 10 64-Bit Please click here to download and install the full feature software for this printer.
- If you're running Windows 10 32-Bit Please click here to download and install the full feature software for this printer.
- Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Let me know how it goes!
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee
08-13-2019 03:15 PM
Thank you so much for the information! The second part definitely helped with the 64 bit link. I can print from websites in color and microsoft office in color. I cannot print saved images in color but if I drag it into a microsoft office application, then it will print in color.
11-24-2019 11:15 AM
@MrsSwilly76, Welcome to the HP Support Community!
To assist you better, which model printer are you using?
Are you using Win 10 32 bit OS?
This seems like an issue with the print driver.
For now, Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue
Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.
Keep me posted for further assistance.
I am an HP Employee