Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8715
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I've been having issues with printing for the past week. My OJPro has been giving an error: "Cannot print. Connect printer to update HP Instant Ink Status." Every time I printed for the past week I could press "Update" and then on the next screen where it tells me to press "OK" to print, I do so and the print job would print. However, yesterday everything ended. I now receive the error, "The printer could not connect to the Web Services (I have disconnected the router and printer and plugged them both back in but to no avail) server. Check Internet Connection. If your network uses proxy settings (which it does not) when connecting to the Internet, make sure the proxy settings you are entering are valid." - Provides options: "Retry" "Enter Proxy" "OK". I choose "OK" and the next screen says, "The printer is being updated. This process might take several minutes. Touch "OK to continue printing. <space> Tip: You can check the HP Instant Ink status by touching the <symbol> on the Home Screen...". I click "OK" and it acts like it's updating but I then receive the same error again, "Cannot print. Connect printer to update HP Instant Ink status." However, this time it doesn't provide the "OK" option, just "Connect".

I opened up HP Smart and I see the following information:

Under "Status":

Printer Status: "Please connect printer to the internet"

Your printer needs to be connected to HP Connected to update its HP Instant Ink status.

You will be unable to print until the printer has connected.
     See printer control panel for instructions.

Please click Help for printer network troubleshooting information.

Supply Status: (The refresh symbols keeps spinning without resolve)

Printer Information:

Name: HP OfficeJet Pro 8710

Model Name: HP OfficeJet Pro 8710

Installation status: Installed

Connection Type: Network

Connection Status: Active

After I select the option on the left "Network Information", the following information is displayed:

Wireless: On

Bonjour Name: HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 [XXXXXX]

(Under Ethernet)

Status: Not connected - (Which should be correct as I've always utilized this printer as a wireless printer.)

While reviewing the information on the actual printer screen, I find this:

It shows the Wireless Services with my chosen hpeprint email: "Connected"

The IP address is shown and connected along with its MAC address.

I've tried to locate a way to Live Chat with support but to no avail; the same with a telephone number.

I'm needing my printer to work so I can complete a lot of schoolwork as I'm backlogged because of it. Any prompt assistance from anyone having a resolution to my issue(s) would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Unknown_Future, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Instant Ink could be affected as there is an issue with web services. The servers are down. We are working on it. Kindly try again after a couple of hours.

For now, perform a ping test to check the connectivity between the printer and the MAC

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
  2. On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box
  3. Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings
  4. Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost
  5. Note: There should be 0% packet loss, share the results in your next post.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Unknown_Future, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Instant Ink could be affected as there is an issue with web services. The servers are down. We are working on it. Kindly try again after a couple of hours.

For now, perform a ping test to check the connectivity between the printer and the MAC

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
  2. On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box
  3. Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings
  4. Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost
  5. Note: There should be 0% packet loss, share the results in your next post.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.