Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 8040
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Just received a note from HP stating that my printer is too old and they will be discontinuing my HP Instant Ink service in Dec.  Is this some kind of scam to force me to buy a new printer?  Sure seems that way.  I'm using a highly capable HP Officejet 8040 that works well and have absolutely no need to buy a new printer so this seems ridiculous.  To top it all off, they will disable any existing cartridges within my printer when they discontinue service.  An ethical company might just let me run out of ink but HP will shut me down and force me to throw away perfectly good ink cartridges.  I've been a loyal HP instant ink customer for several years and I'm a repeat HP printer owner.  However, this has changed my entire outlook on the company.  I'm rethinking my ownership of HP products and I'm certainly not recommending the instant ink service to anyone.   Is this common practice for HP? 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@JSide, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Same issue here - LOVE my HP OfficeJet 8040 and it still works perfectly. Why did I get a notice saying it was being discontinued when the website shows lots of even older models that are still being supported by the program? I have no desire to spend another $300 right now when everyone is just trying to make ends meet and have been a loyal HP printer customer for over 20 years. What gives HP?

HP Recommended

JSide, I also received an email in regards to instant ink being discontinued for my HP 8040 officejet printer which is working great.   I contacted HP and the didn't see any email sent to me in regards nor could they tell me why (if this is legitimate ) my ink cartridges would not work after December 15th, 2020.  I was told to wait and see what happens after December 15th then call them back.  

HP Recommended

Yeah, I too received a similar message just moments ago, but my device is a relatively new HP Deskjet 2630, which I also got replaced thanks to the warranty, mere couple months back.

Two years of Free Ink without problem, and now HP got cold feet? Are their customers not paying enough all the sudden?

Anyone with half the human brains could've told them that most people barely print even a page per month on average.

But yeah, depending on their official statement, which I HOPE will arrive soon, I too have to reconsider my relationship with HP's services and devices. The sad thing is, if this is the end of the line for me, it will take many of my family members with me, as I have recommended the Free Ink service and printers for them as well.

HP Recommended

I am so frustrated with HP right now.  I have been a loyal HP customer for 20+ years.  My Officejet 8040 has been the best printer that I have ever owned and is still working fantastic.  This printer's quality is like no other.  I have 2 other printers that are double the price but does not match the quality of the 8040.  I was stunned when I received the initial email from Instant Ink stating that I have until mid December to replace my printer.  Then a few weeks later I received another email stating that I now have until Nov. 14th!  You push the date up??  This is ridiculous that we are forced to buy a new printer when we have perfectly working ones.  In addition to the frustration, the cartridge that is in my printer is only half used and I was sent a brand new Instant Ink cartridge that most likely will go to waste.  Instead of letting us use up what is already sent to us, you just shut off the printing function all together?  Didn't we already pay for these cartridges?  This is horrible ethics and a disregard for the environment.  What is even more concerning is the fact that I still have not received a response when I contact HP about what models are being discontinued so I don't have to go through this again.  I have not been able to find any information online.  The OfficeJet 8040 is still listed as a supported model on the Instant Ink page.  I am rethinking my loyalty to HP and will look at other brands.  

HP Recommended

Hey everyone, I just received this from HP:

"Hi moseleynchi,

Jay_G24 (HP Support Agent) posted a new reply in HP Instant Ink on 11-03-2020 10:16 AM

Subject: Re: What printer models are no longer supported by Instant Ink?

Hi @moseleynchi,

I'd like to help!

It was an automated email, please ignore it.

HP OfficeJet 8040 Series is eligible for instant ink service and the service should continue without interruption.

Hope this helps! "

HP Recommended

This is bogus information. The emails about Instant Ink ending for 8040 printers are real and correct (via Instant Ink support).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.