Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended

Thanks Dragon. I've ordered a cable from Amazon. The previous owner says it can work from my WI FI but I can not do anything until I get the cartridge issue sorted and I get that cable. 

HP Recommended

@Fragglebuster 

Interesting - the User Guide and Specifications do mot mention that the printer supports Wireless.

The User Guide does mention printer sharing (on Page 17) - the printer does need to be connected to the host computer via the USB cable.

If Bob can get back to us, he may be able to provide additional insight with the hardware (cannot print / ink not working).

Essentially, the known solutions are here:

Document Source = Printer Category Troubleshooting > Print > Print Quality

Missing, Faded, or Dull Colors

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

OK, looks like I am late to the party here.  Lots of things to cover, I will separate them with bullet points here.

• Please verify the printer model?  The Deskjet F2180 is not a wireless printer, it uses USB 1.1 as described in the post here.  It will probably work in a USB 2.0 port, I suspect there may be issues trying to use it in a USB 3.0 port.

• What were the numbers on the Instant Ink cartridges?   If you have a Deskjet F2180 your printer uses HP 21 Black and HP 22 Color cartridges.  Are those the cartridges you bought?  You mentioned buying "compatible" cartridges.  Please note that third party cartridges vary widely in quality, but are generally suspect.  See the document here for information.  Note that there are no Instant Ink cartridges that have the same electrical pinout as the HP 21 and HP 22 cartridges.
  • The Instant Ink cartridges are the property of HP.  If you were a subscriber they would have supplied postge-paid return envelopes to return them for recycling.  See here to order (free) prepaid envelopes to return the cartridges.
  • The HP 21 and 22 cartridges have the ink, ink delivery system and printhead all built into the cartridge.  Regardless of how the printer was stored, if you replace the cartridges the entire printing system is being replaced.  (This is unlike printers with separate ink supplies and printheads, where the printer can be damaged if the printer is stored without the cartridges installed and the printhead parked correctly.)
  • You mention flashing lights on the printer when you installed the new cartridges.  Which lights are blinking?  The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help troubleshoot this issue.

If the error is related to the cartridges the troubleshooting steps in the document here may help.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob, 

It's never too late to join a party lol.

OK so the printer is a HP DESKJET F2180. I did have a look at the manual online and saw no mention of it being wireless, so I did wonder why my former work colleague (that's who I bought the printer off) said it was.

The printer came with two HP Ink cartridges HP 21 and 22. My Mam has a printer and she recommended using Asda brand cartridges as that's what she uses and they are compatible with the printer I got.

The two lights flashing are the check paper and the check cartridges lights. They have been flashing since I first got it on Sunday. I assumed the two HP cartridges that were in the printer were empty, which is why I replaced them.

The two Instant Ink Cartridges are not in my name, they are in the name of my former colleague's family member, so I will look into returning them. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.