Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4501

I installed the instant ink cartridges for the 1st time today.  Printed out the alignment sheet, and placed it on the scanner to scan.  The printer did nothing.  I held the power button down to reset it and now "printing alignment sheet" is on the screen but does nothing.  I contacted Instant Ink chat and they said there was nothing wrong and to call HP.  I called HP and was told I would be charged $20 for their support so I ended up here.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @MercuryComet72

Welcome to the HP Support Community. Apologies for the inconvenience. I'd be happy to assist you. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Make sure both the ink cartridges installed are Instant Ink cartridges. Bypass the error message to reach the home screen on the printer.

Check the estimated ink levels

1. On the printer control panel, press the Home button  to open the Home screen.

2. Press the Down Arrow  to select Ink Levels, and then press OK. The control panel displays the estimated ink levels.

Clean the ink cartridges

1. On the printer control panel, press the Down Arrow  to select Tools, and then press OK.

2. Press the Down Arrow  to select Clean Printhead, and then press OK. The printer cleans the printhead, and then prints a printhead test page.

3. Review the print quality on the printhead test page.

Manually clean the area around the ink nozzles

Refer to step 12 mentioned in this document.

Align the printer

1. Load plain white paper in the paper tray.

2. On the printer control panel, press the down arrow  to select Align Printer, and then press OK.

The printer prints a test page, and then prompts you to scan the page.

3. Place the alignment page with the print side down on the scanner glass. Position it according to the engraved guides around the glass.

Figure : Place the alignment page on the scanner glass

Image: Place the alignment page on the scanner glass
  4. Close the scanner lid, and then touch OK.

For more info on resolving alignment issues, kindly refer to this document.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

None of these will work because the screen is stuck on scanning.  The only button that does anything is the power button and then the process starts all over.  Is there a way to just bypass this whole alignment thing?  The printer is printing out fine.  If I could just bypass this alignment step, everything would be great.  I dont need the scanner.

HP Recommended

@MercuryComet72, that's unfortunate. If the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.