Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 All-in-One Printer

I did a factory reset of my OfficeJet Pro 8740 All‑in‑One, which included resetting my HP WebServices and ePrint. 

This seems to have broken the link between Instant Ink enrollment and my printer, as immediately upon reset the printer displays a message stating my cartridges are not authorized until the printer is enrolled in Instant Ink. Okay, so I need to relink things up.... I started the workflow on the Instant Ink website to replace my currently enrolled printer (enrolled since 2017) however, to relink my printer to Instant Ink I need the HP printer claim code, and I can’t get the code because 1) the printer won't print anything out with the Instant Ink cartridges installed, and 2) I can’t get rid of the alert on the built-in display (the pop-up display letting me know that my cartridges can’t be used) - the alert will not go away no matter what I do!  Regardless of power cycle, removing the cartridges, etc... (the printer then displays a message that it wants *some* cartridges inserted to proceed with new printer setup).  I appear to be stuck! 

How do I get my printer up and running again with the instant ink cartridges I have on hand, and the active instant ink subscription I am paying for (for 5 years no less)?

I do have full access to the embedded web server, and have searched high and low there for the printer claim code but it doesn't appear to be displayed.  The EWS does confirm connectivity to HP WebServices.  Firmware is WEBPDLPP1N001.2225B.00.

Thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Rainbow23,

This in no way addressed the problem.  I had no issues with my connectivity, nor am I even connected wirelessly (I use the built-in Ethernet port to connect to this MFP).

Ultimately I hacked together a solution to this which I am posting for others who may come across the thread.

THE SOLUTION THAT WORKED FOR ME

From the screen where I was stuck in the continuous loop of "Insert any cartridge", then "these cartridges are enrolled in HP Instant Ink you must enroll in Instant Ink", to "insert the original cartridges that came with your printer” (which are long since discarded as I completed setup 5 years ago!)

Read these instructions before doing anything, and know you’re in the very innards of your printer and have a high potential of bricking your machine - probably permanently.  

1. Go to the EWS web interface and verify connectivity with your network
  2. Go to the “Web Services” tab and enable HP Web Services.  As long as the web services status says enabled, and “Internet Connection” as well as “Printer connection to HP Connected” both say “Connected”, then your printer has the needed claim code stored locally and you’re okay to proceed to the next steps.
  3. Pull the plug on the printer
  4. Press the power button and don't release it while proceeding with the next couple of steps
  5. Re-plug the printer to an outlet (while keeping the power button pressed)
  6. Wait 30 seconds (while still keeping the power button pressed)
  7. After 30 seconds, release the power button.  At this stage, the screen is still black but the printer has started
  8. On the front panel: press home, then back, then home, then home buttons in this sequence... the buttons were not highlighted but this sequence should work. Try it a few times if needed, it's hard when you can't see the buttons.  Eventually, the printer will display “MFG Mode” and you’ll see words in four quadrants: MFG in the upper left, “REFLASH” in the upper right, “MENU” in the bottom right, and “AUDIT” in the bottom left.  Select “MENU”.
  9. You’ll now see “PARTIAL RESET” in the middle of your screen.  Select “PREV” in the bottom left and keep pressing “PREV” until you come to “NO PRINT MECH”.  Select “OK”.  The printer will now boot up in a restricted mode for printing but did not seem to verify the integrity/genuineness of the ink cartridge.  I did not attempt to print in this mode and I get the sense you can not print in this mode.  Most importantly you now have the ability to hide/bypass any of the alerts about cartridges and you are now at the familiar HP printer “home” screen!
  10. Once you dismiss any printer cartridge messages, swipe down to access the HP preference menu.  Go to the gear icon for Setup.
  11. Goto Web Services Setup.
  12. Select Display Email Address
  13. You may see “acquiring email address” for a moment, but then you’ll see the @hpeprint.com email address.  The first part of the email address, before the @hpeprint.com is the printer claim code you can use to enroll/replace your previous Instant Ink enrolled printer through the Instant Ink web portal.  Complete that workflow on the Instant Ink site.
  14. I used the EWS interface to select Tools > Printer Restart > Power Cycle to reboot the printer after obtaining the email address.  Once restarted in normal mode, the printer recognized it was enrolled in Instant Ink and even gave me congratulations, welcome to Instant Ink message - ha!

Cheers!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @nothankyou22

Welcome to HP Support Community. This is a great place to post questions find answers and tips.
Thank you for posting your query. I will be glad to help you.

I see that you are getting an error message stating that cartridges are not authorized until the printer is enrolled in Instant Ink.

Please follow the steps listed below to restore the printer to its network defaults and then reconnect to the wireless network.

Step 1: Restore the printer to its network defaults.
1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).
2. Touch Network Setup.
3. Touch Restore Network Settings.
A message appears stating that the network defaults will be restored.
4. Touch Yes.

Step 2: Re-connect the printer to the network.
1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch (Wireless).
2. Touch ( Settings ).
3. Touch Wireless Settings.
4. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard or Wi-Fi Protected Setup.
5. Follow the display instructions to complete the setup.

Step 3: Enable Web services by following the steps from this document.

Let me know if this helps.
Take care and have a great day ahead.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi Rainbow23,

This in no way addressed the problem.  I had no issues with my connectivity, nor am I even connected wirelessly (I use the built-in Ethernet port to connect to this MFP).

Ultimately I hacked together a solution to this which I am posting for others who may come across the thread.

THE SOLUTION THAT WORKED FOR ME

From the screen where I was stuck in the continuous loop of "Insert any cartridge", then "these cartridges are enrolled in HP Instant Ink you must enroll in Instant Ink", to "insert the original cartridges that came with your printer” (which are long since discarded as I completed setup 5 years ago!)

Read these instructions before doing anything, and know you’re in the very innards of your printer and have a high potential of bricking your machine - probably permanently.  

1. Go to the EWS web interface and verify connectivity with your network
  2. Go to the “Web Services” tab and enable HP Web Services.  As long as the web services status says enabled, and “Internet Connection” as well as “Printer connection to HP Connected” both say “Connected”, then your printer has the needed claim code stored locally and you’re okay to proceed to the next steps.
  3. Pull the plug on the printer
  4. Press the power button and don't release it while proceeding with the next couple of steps
  5. Re-plug the printer to an outlet (while keeping the power button pressed)
  6. Wait 30 seconds (while still keeping the power button pressed)
  7. After 30 seconds, release the power button.  At this stage, the screen is still black but the printer has started
  8. On the front panel: press home, then back, then home, then home buttons in this sequence... the buttons were not highlighted but this sequence should work. Try it a few times if needed, it's hard when you can't see the buttons.  Eventually, the printer will display “MFG Mode” and you’ll see words in four quadrants: MFG in the upper left, “REFLASH” in the upper right, “MENU” in the bottom right, and “AUDIT” in the bottom left.  Select “MENU”.
  9. You’ll now see “PARTIAL RESET” in the middle of your screen.  Select “PREV” in the bottom left and keep pressing “PREV” until you come to “NO PRINT MECH”.  Select “OK”.  The printer will now boot up in a restricted mode for printing but did not seem to verify the integrity/genuineness of the ink cartridge.  I did not attempt to print in this mode and I get the sense you can not print in this mode.  Most importantly you now have the ability to hide/bypass any of the alerts about cartridges and you are now at the familiar HP printer “home” screen!
  10. Once you dismiss any printer cartridge messages, swipe down to access the HP preference menu.  Go to the gear icon for Setup.
  11. Goto Web Services Setup.
  12. Select Display Email Address
  13. You may see “acquiring email address” for a moment, but then you’ll see the @hpeprint.com email address.  The first part of the email address, before the @hpeprint.com is the printer claim code you can use to enroll/replace your previous Instant Ink enrolled printer through the Instant Ink web portal.  Complete that workflow on the Instant Ink site.
  14. I used the EWS interface to select Tools > Printer Restart > Power Cycle to reboot the printer after obtaining the email address.  Once restarted in normal mode, the printer recognized it was enrolled in Instant Ink and even gave me congratulations, welcome to Instant Ink message - ha!

Cheers!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.