Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rpettrey
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Instant Ink using cellular connection?

HP OJ 6970
Android 9.0 Pie

After paying exorbitant pricing for internet connectivity through our local cable provider we cancelled the cable account, and are  using our cell phones exclusively for internet connectivity saving over $1000/year.

Previously my OJ 6978 Instant Ink account was connected via Ethernet to our cable provider through a local switch. I could not figure out how to connect the printer to the internet through my phone so I cancelled the Instant Ink account. 

Is there any way to use Instant Ink via a cellular connection? I would like to restore the Instant Ink account.

I can wirelessly print to the OJ 6978 from my Note 8 and my Surface Pro. Printing is not the issue, it's the Instant Ink connection.

Please Advise.

Rob

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,693 5,678 420 456
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Instant Ink using cellular connection?

@rpettrey, Welcome to HP Support Community!

A hotspot through your cellphone to connect the printer is not recommended as the connection is intermittent and unstable. Instant Ink will not function very well with the hotspot connectivity. But here's what you can do and it might work - If it is possible, enroll your printer and connect the printer to a stable network at least a couple of times in a week, this will update the ink levels and page printed on the Instant Ink sever.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation