Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP tango X
iOS

We originally signed up for the $2.99/ month plan but quickly realized we weren’t printing enough to justify the monthly cost since we were not getting ink cartridges very often. They shipped several cartridges but we haven’t used them yet since printer prints fine. I have extra cartridges I can’t use. 

I cancelled our plan and they told me the ink cartridges will no longer work in the printer without a plan. My extra cartridges won’t work now. Seems a bit slimy. What cartridges will it work with, if any? This month I got charged $2.99 again even though I cancelled my plan. 

Next I tried to sign up for the $0 plan for printing but it’s grayed out under my account and I can’t change it. 

—What ink will work with the HP tango X if I’m not enrolled in their HP Instant Ink plan? 
—How can I sign up for the free plan, if I must, do cartridges work?

Any other ideas? I love this blue tooth printer, but now it seems I’m being held hostage to be able to print. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@sophster 

If I understand the sequence of events, you did have a subscription to Instant Ink.

You have cancelled your Instant Ink Print-by-Page Subscription.

As a result of the cancellation, none of the Instant Ink cartridges will work in the printer - this is expected.

You never owned any of the Instant Ink cartridges shipped to you during the subscription period - Instant Ink cartridges remain the property of HP.

Ink is supplied as part of the plan during the time the subscription is active.

After the subscription is terminated, Instant Ink Cartridges are locked out of the printer.  This is normal behavior.

After the plan is terminated, all Instant Ink should be returned (free of charge) to HP (see the Terms of Service Contract).

What to do?

Purchase and install a complete set HP ink.

If the printer complains in spite of you having installed your own purchased HP ink, Shut off Web Services.

OK..

Free Plan is only available as a First Time, First setup option.

You cannot downgrade to Free Plan.

You cannot terminate and then come back and try to get Free Plan.

The details are explained in the Terms of Service Contract.

HP Instant Ink - Main Website - Information, Enroll, FAQ, Terms of Service / Contract

Not your home site?  Click the Flag to change to your region.

Of Interest…

• FAQ section > How does HP Instant Ink work?
  • Contract > Link is located below the FAQ section > Terms of Service Contract

Example

Read  USA - Instant Ink - Terms of Service  

NOTE:   It is NOT necessary that you be enrolled to read the contract > Open the main website > scroll down just past the FAQ

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.