Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook PC to HP 2742e AIO Printer
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I can't connect my new HP 2742e All-in-One Printer to my existing Instant Ink account, This account currently lists my old HP 2655 AIO Printer, which has become inoperable and was discarded. Even HP support was unable to help me, even though they generated Case [Personal Information Removed] to refer for tech support.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Trainman3,

I'd like to help!

I understand you would like to replace the printer on the instant ink account.

Follow the below suggestions -

Follow these steps to keep your account history, rollover pages, and free trial months:

1. Make sure the new printer is HP Instant Ink compatible. If you plan to purchase one, look for the HP Instant Ink logo on the box. For warranty replacements, you will automatically be sent a compatible printer.
  2. Do not cancel your current Instant Ink plan.
  3. Once you have the new printer, log in to your account at hpinstantink.com and click Enroll/Replace Printer.
  4. Then follow the steps to complete enrollment of your new printer.

Important information about cartridges:

• A new set of Instant Ink cartridges will either be included with your printer or you will receive a shipment within 10 business days of replacing the printer.
  • If compatible, you can also install any unused Instant Ink cartridges you may have on hand. If not compatible, please send any unused cartridges back in the included recycle bag.
  • Any used cartridges you may have will not work in the new printer, so please send them back fo

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

I faithfully followed the instructions provided (as I have done several times before, and as have 2 HP Instantink reps), but was not successful.  I have a windows 8.1 ops, and when i tried to load the hp123 software, it completely stalled at the screen instruction ,"loading the printer software". Perhaps my new HP 2742e AIO Printer is defective. Anyway, as I stated in my original message, an HP Instantink rep referred my problem to an HP tech for resolution (Case #5073800718) but I have not heard from HP at all.

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me.

Were you able to add the printer to the instant ink account?

To install the printer computer follow the below steps -

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

--->In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

--->Select your HP printer.

--->Select Uninstall.

--->In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

--->In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

--->Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

--->Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

--->Click on the Drivers tab.

--->Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

--->Select OK.

--->Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

--->Close Devices and Printers.

And then reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from the software and drivers page 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

HP Recommended

No, I was not able to connect my printer to my HP Instantink account.  I tried implementing your suggested plan, but was stymied at the "printui.exe/s" step -- this file was not identified by my computer.  You should know that my "digital" acumen is very limited; I just try to follow the correction plan that is presented to me.  What are my options now?

HP Recommended

The above steps were to uninstall the printer and reinstall it on your computer.

To connect your printer to web services, try the below steps-

Restart the computer, printer, and router

To resolve any connectivity issues, restart the computer, printer, and router.

NOTE: 

The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before you continue.

Turn off the router by pressing the power button or disconnecting the power cord.

Turn off the printer.

Close all running programs on your computer, and then shut down the computer.

Press the power button or reconnect the power cord to the router, and then wait for the Internet activity light to display a normal connected status.

Turn on the printer.

Turn on the computer.

Try to turn on Web Services.

If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Let's disable webservices and re-enable it

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address

--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP

---> click on webservices and remove webservices and re-enable it

If the issue persists,

Check the Internet proxy server settings

For networks that use proxy servers, update the Web Services settings in the printer EWS with the proxy information.

Locate the Internet proxy settings.

Windows: Search Windows for Internet, and then click Internet Options in the list of results. On the Internet Properties window, click the Connections tab, select your network, if necessary, and then click Settings.
The network settings menu displays with the proxy settings.
From the EWS, click the Web Services tab, and then click Proxy Settings.

Type the Address and Port values for your proxy server connection, and then click Apply.

Try to turn on Web Services.

Update the printer firmware

HP regularly releases printer updates. Updating the printer firmware might resolve the issue.

Refer -- HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Also, refer to -https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03767639

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.