Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 2630 All-in-One Printer
iOS

Hello, I wonder if anybody else has experienced this issue. 

I've been using a very large black Instant Ink Cardridge since 2019 and have been printing about 5-10 pages per month. 

Finally, after 3 years, the ink level is in the driver shows about 20%. But the black color seems to have to run out completely now, while color printing still works. 

Since I cannot longer print black now, but Instant Ink still thinks there's ink left and has not send a new cardridge yet, is it possible to somehow request a new cardridge?

It seems the HP support is quite active in the forums here, so any help is appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, if this is just research for a web article I will make this one last post in this thread and then move on.

I am an HP Expert - that means I am a volunteer in the forums here that has demonstrated some expertise over the years.  I do not work for HP.  I do not have any access to customers' account information of any of the HP private systems.  [I did work for HP from 1976 to 2005.  When this forum was started in 2008 I was invited to join and was made an HP Expert.]

There are several ways to get replacement HP Instant Ink cartridges:

• With a printer connected to the internet 24/7 the system will monitor ink levels and automatically ship cartridges when the ink levels reach about two months (at current usage) of ink left.  This is the "correct" way for things to happen.  The most common reason for this process to not work is folks turning off the printer except while printing, or those with unreliable internet connections.  HP printers made in the last few decades have an automatic low power mode the printer enters automatically when the printer is not active.  It is not necessary or desirable to turn off the printer during idle times.  (When the printer is turned off it requires more of a startup process when the printer is turned back on.  This uses some ink and causes wear and tear on the servicing components of the printer.  This is especially the case when an external switch such as an outlet switch is used.  In that case, the printer loses track of the time since the last print job and will then default to the maximum amount of cartridge servicing to ensure the nozzles will print correctly.)
  • If for some reason the above fails the user may need to contact HP for a replacement, either by calling or using the virtual chat as I mentioned above or by posting in the forum.  If you post in the forum you may get an answer from another forum user (like me) who can point you to the right place to get your issue resolved.  Alternately, you may receive an answer from a paid HP Support agent.  The HP agents have access to the internal ordering and billing systems.  They can request some personal information (such as your name, printer serial number, account number, etc) using the personal messaging system.  Once they get this information they can then look up your account and schedule sending replacements if the account is in good order.  The result, in either case, is likely the same, within ten days you should have replacement cartridges.  

Have fun with your project.  I am here to help folks resolve their printing issues, I will not be responding further in this thread.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The document here has information on contacting HP to get replacement Instant Ink cartridges.  Go to the HP Instant Ink site, the phone number (or chat option for some countries) will be listed in the lower center of the opening screen. 

Alternately, you can click on the Virtual Assistant.  When the assistant opens type "Where is my ink?" (w/o the quotes).  The system will ask a few questions and then schedule your shipment.

Instant Ink Support.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the quick answer. Unfortunately, the virtual agent was just redirecting me to phone support instead of chat support. So unfortunatley, I'm still stuck with the instant ink replacement issue. 

HP Recommended

If the virtual agent is redirecting you to the HP Phone support I would suggest calling the number they supply, or the one in the bottom center of the page here: https://instantink.hpconnected.com/de/de/l/v2

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thanks but I still wonder, why for example the question next to mine from user TT771

"Need to replace tricolour cartridge on Instant Ink" from Apr 4,

With more or less exactly the same question got an private message with a solution and I'm still redirected to phone support.

I'd like to write a large article about Instant Ink on my webblog about the experiences with Instant Ink so I hope I get some real help here.  
HP Recommended

OK, if this is just research for a web article I will make this one last post in this thread and then move on.

I am an HP Expert - that means I am a volunteer in the forums here that has demonstrated some expertise over the years.  I do not work for HP.  I do not have any access to customers' account information of any of the HP private systems.  [I did work for HP from 1976 to 2005.  When this forum was started in 2008 I was invited to join and was made an HP Expert.]

There are several ways to get replacement HP Instant Ink cartridges:

• With a printer connected to the internet 24/7 the system will monitor ink levels and automatically ship cartridges when the ink levels reach about two months (at current usage) of ink left.  This is the "correct" way for things to happen.  The most common reason for this process to not work is folks turning off the printer except while printing, or those with unreliable internet connections.  HP printers made in the last few decades have an automatic low power mode the printer enters automatically when the printer is not active.  It is not necessary or desirable to turn off the printer during idle times.  (When the printer is turned off it requires more of a startup process when the printer is turned back on.  This uses some ink and causes wear and tear on the servicing components of the printer.  This is especially the case when an external switch such as an outlet switch is used.  In that case, the printer loses track of the time since the last print job and will then default to the maximum amount of cartridge servicing to ensure the nozzles will print correctly.)
  • If for some reason the above fails the user may need to contact HP for a replacement, either by calling or using the virtual chat as I mentioned above or by posting in the forum.  If you post in the forum you may get an answer from another forum user (like me) who can point you to the right place to get your issue resolved.  Alternately, you may receive an answer from a paid HP Support agent.  The HP agents have access to the internal ordering and billing systems.  They can request some personal information (such as your name, printer serial number, account number, etc) using the personal messaging system.  Once they get this information they can then look up your account and schedule sending replacements if the account is in good order.  The result, in either case, is likely the same, within ten days you should have replacement cartridges.  

Have fun with your project.  I am here to help folks resolve their printing issues, I will not be responding further in this thread.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.