Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Officejet pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I received a fully functional, great condition printer (officejet pro 6978) from my neighbor who moved away. They left their instant ink cartridges in the machine, it worked perfectly until I logged onto the internet and the printer locked me out! 

What steps must I take to print now. I'm scared to spend $70-80 on hp cartridges (without a guarantee they'll work) as I have read that if previous owner doesn't cancel Ink subscription then the machine is basically garbage. Can I simply swap out the instant ink for genuine hp ink cartridges and the machine will print fine? Do I need to do a factory reset? Please help!!

Thanks

Andrew

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Great_dane23, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

In this case, the previous owner should remove the printer from Instant Ink account or cancel the Instant Ink subscription if you choose to use the printer with Instant Ink subscription in future. You will have to create a new account and register the printer under your account.

To know how to cancel the account, click here.

However, if you do not want to use Instant Ink, you may just turn off web services on the printer and use regular HP ink cartridges to print.

Click here to know how to turn off web services.

Hope this answers your query. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.