Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 9025
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I lost my wallet a few days ago, and I'm waiting for my credit card replacements. Meantime, my HP printer is displaying this...

"Payment method needs updating. Sign in to account at HP Instant Ink to update. You will be unable to print with HP Instant Ink cartridges soon."

Does this mean that HP will remotely disable my printer unless they have my bank account in their fists? Sure sounds like a threat to me. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@MIchaelLinder wrote:

... Does this mean that HP will remotely disable my printer unless they have my bank account in their fists? Sure sounds like a threat to me. 

@MIchaelLinder 

Did you read the contract before signing up for Instant ink ? Normally, your printer only uses Instant ink cartridges and without new cartridges it simply stops. System can't deduct your money from old card therefore the simple rule is no pay, no service.

HP won't remotely disable your printer but your printer itself won't work after running out inks.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Now that you've made your assumptions, I'll reiterate the real situation.  

I am using the cartridges that came with my printer. I also have a set of yet-to-be-opened HP cartridges sent to me on enrolling in Instant Ink. I have no intention or desire to use non-HP ink, and own no such products. I am fully stocked up on HP ink — and yet my printer clearly warns me that my HP cartridges — and it specified them by name — will cease to work soon, unless my new debit card numbers are entered immediately. Now that clearly sounds like imminent disabling. If it's not, it's equally-offensive bullying

Your supercilious, condescending comments about reading the contract were uncalled for, and just as mean-spirited as HP's implied threats. There's no other way to interpret the hostile warning displayed on my printer's display screen other than heavy-handed corporate intimidation. True colors — beyond those being printed. 

I'll be posting this incident at Trustpilot, Reseller Reviews and elsewhere. 

HP Recommended

Michael,

Are you retarded? You have a  contract with HP. They provided you a service and you have to paid it.

If you don't have a valid way of payment for the service what do you expect to happen?

Regards

HP Recommended

I have no issues living up to the terms of the Instant Ink program. What is unacceptable is a thug corporation that flags my printer with the threat of turning turn it off — including the use of official HP cartridges I've already purchased. HP's intimidation began before I received replacements for lost cards from my bank. But you're right, I had no payment method at that time. FYI, I have no outstanding balance due, making HP's threats completely stupid. Of course they'll once again have access to my bank accounts when I receive my replacement plastic.

Of all my auto-pay accounts, from T-Mobile to Adobe, none threatened to impede my use of their devices. They understand that card numbers change, and send friendly alerts rather than resorting to shutdown bullying. 

Just as nasty are respondents on this forum, spewing bile simply because I find HP customer relations lacking. So, I may be "retarded," while an "expert" falsely claims HP was referring to third-party cartridges when it clearly was not. The wrath of HP and and its minions is especially ugly on this toxic forum. Instead, I'll voice my indignation on Trustpilot and Reseller Reviews. Thank you for your your quotes. I'll be certain to link to your profiles.

HP Recommended

" I'll be certain to link to your profiles."

Michael, are you threatening me?

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi @MIchaelLinder

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Not all. As a journalist, I'm identifying sources that I quote.

HP Recommended

Please ask Enrique Lores why it's necessary to put a gun to the head of a customer who simply lost his wallet, and didn't end the threat of imminent disablement away until I obtained a new bank card. That's when I received this message from Instant Ink:

"Your billing information has been updated and your payment was received. Your HP Instant Ink cartridges will work again with your printer." 

Couldn't bother to thank me for adding to HP's revenues. Having HP turn on me, threatening that it could damage my livelihood — simply because I lost my wallet — has destroyed any faith and good will for HP. If this is how it treats its customers, it doesn't really deserve to have any. What if I was unable to make a payment because of Coviid-19 job loss? Would HP disable my printer at a time when its use could be crucial?

I will pose that question to Mr. Lores, and quote whatever is salient, in my reviews and articles. Or will HP disable my  HP Instant Ink cartridges if I do? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.