Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Is Instaink a SCAM? AntiVirus: "instaink hp ink ransomware scam". HPs holding your printer hostage!

HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5010

The HP printer drivers can't be installed on my Laptop then my anti-virus came up and accused HP drivers of spyware!   SPYWARE WARNING:  TRACKING SOFTWARE THAT PHONES HOME YOUR PERSONAL DETAILS.

"instantink hp ink ransomware scammer"  QUARANTINED.

WHAT?  Now I can't print.  Looked it up online and it is true.   This morning I had a message on the Printer after my wife printed one page off a different PC:- 

"WARNING SOON YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO PRINT."

www.hpinstantink.com check your account.  The anti-virus is telling the truth!  OWCH!   HP are you playing Russian roulette with the whole of HP billions of $ at stake.  You know there is a low threshold of tolerance for scammers, lies in the media and false advertising. What are you going to do about it?  Is this scam for real.

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,954 12,931 1,014 981
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@InkHostage, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Nothing to worry about, there is no harm in using the HP Instant Ink Services.

To assist you better, We would need some information related to your Instant Ink Subscription. This information cannot be shared on a public post.

I have sent you a private message, reply to the message with your details.

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@InkHostage, it's not a scam. Your anti-virus may be a little out of date, or overly sensitive. The printer does have to "phone home," because that's how Instant Ink works: the printer reports your page count to HP so they can calculate your usage against your monthly ink subscription plan. If you signed up for Instant Ink, you do have to use the "special" Instant Ink cartridges, which have the built-in capabilities to do the page counting (as I understand it). Otherwise your printer won't print. That may feel limiting, but it's not "ransomware"; sooner or later you have to pay for ink to get a printer to print, no matter how you choose to do it.

If the way Instant Ink works to keep count of pages feels unsafe to you, then it is not for you, for sure. There's a way to unsubscribe, and you would need to carefully follow the steps to do so correctly. But for me, I've found it fairly reliable, and probably less expensive than buying ink cartridges on my own--I'm waiting till I've been on the plan for 6 months or so to do the math. Hope this is some help, from a fellow-user's perspective.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation