Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been using my HP Officejet Pro 8620 successfully for years now.  I also am enrolled in Instant Ink.  On 9/13/2019 when I tried to print, I received a message  "Connect printer to update HP Instant Ink Status".  When I tell it to connect, it is unsuccessful.  The printer is connected by wireless to my network and the blue dot is on and steady. After searching these forums, I tried a number of things to correct the problem.  I reset my router and printer, I updated the firmware on my router and checked to make sure my printer firmware was up to date.  I finally tried the suggestion to disable the Web Services and re-enable it.  It disabled without a problem, but is unsuccessful when I try to re-enable it.  I have tried everything I can find on these sites, but I cannot get it to reconnect.  Please help!  As far as I know, the only thing that changed recently is that Windows installed some updates on my laptop, but that should not have changed anything on the printer. 

Can anyone help me get the Web Services re-enabled  successfully so my Instant Ink will work properly?  Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

This might be the same issue I am seeing and posted details in another thread:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Instant-Ink/has-anyone-really-solved-the-quot-connect-printer-to-up...

HP Recommended

Like several other people have posted on these message forums, I was finally able to enable the Web Services this morning and it updated my Instant Ink page counts.  However, it did give me a new printer email address.  This is not a big deal, but I had just customized it to what I wanted it to be right before it stopped communicating.  Now it won't let me change it back to the custom address because it says it is already in use.  

Since there were so many people having problems with these older printers, I went out and bought a new one yesterday.  Now that I have the old one working, I have to decide if I will keep using the old one and return the new one.  Who knows how much longer we will be able to keep these old ones working.  I would hate to return the new one (which I managed to get on the last day it was on sale) and then have the old one die in another week.  Decisions. Decisions!

HP Recommended

Dido here - Web Services is up and running.  I got a new email address as well from the factory reset - bummer.  😕 

I bet your new printer wouldn't have worked either since this seemed to be on HP's end. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.