Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540 printer
macOS 10.14 Mojave

My printer suddenly stopped connecting to HP web services . Ie instant ink . No I’m not on holiday my printer is online with up address

i have spent days trying to contact HP hopeless support.

chat remotely accessed my printer settings and couldn’t fix

they then disconnected me 

I have reset printer using hidden menu

ie black screen left bottom corner four times

i have reset network connections

reset and removed cartridges 

chsnged dns to google services ie

8.8.8.8 alternative 8.8.4.4 

been disconnected from chat 9 times today with Ethernet gigabyte connection router (connection problems not my end ) HP still taking fee for instant ink. Over two weeks no sign of getting printer working   

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

There are several of us having the same issue.  Perhaps if we combined our posts we could get more attention.  Would you mind posting a comment in this post: Doesn't connect to Web Services to update Instant Ink Status

HP Recommended

@Cazza1000, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Try these steps to re-enable the web-services -

Step 1 Remove the Web-Services -

1. From the top of the screen, touch or swipe down the tab to open the Dashboard, touch ( HP ePrint ), and then touch (Web Services Settings).

2. Touch Remove Web Services.

Reboot the devices.

Step 2 Enable the Web-Services -

1. From the top of the screen, touch or swipe down the tab to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).

2. Touch Web Services Setup 

3. Touch Accept to accept the Web Services terms of use and enable Web Services.

4. On the screen that appears, touch OK to allow the printer to automatically check for product updates.

5. If the Printer Update Options screen is displayed, select one of the options.

6. When the printer is connected to the server, the printer prints an information page. Follow the instructions on the information page to finish the setup.

If the issue persists, the only option left is to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may brick the device. 

I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @TEJ1602,

May I also receive these reset instructions. I'm having a similar issue with my printer.

HP Recommended

Hi on my 5540 series envy printer I pressed bottom left black part of screen four times select service menu and scroll through to semi full reset. Press ok and wait for it to cycle off . Press big button to turn then go to setting to connect to iwifi. I suggest if you have a mobile phone with hot spot to connect the router to this to rule out any problems with router settings blocking the connection perhaps after an update from your internet provider to your router. 

Im sure you can manage how to try and connect to web services but ask if you need help because I’ve spent so many hours in this I could do it in my sleep . If by any chance you can connect with your phone AaCaroline a hotspot you’ll need to reset your router to default settings but don’t do this until you’re sure you have your internet service correct log in details . I read of people who after having printer problems reset router to try this then find they can’t remember router IP log in etc and get left without internet . Good luck 

HP Recommended

I've done the semi-full reset and the ip reconfiguration, previously. My printer can connect to the internet. I can print, but will always get the instant ink error. It's HP's web services that's the problem.

I want the full reset instructions, and it seems that those can only be emailed by HP support.

HP Recommended

I agree with you completely. My printer went online for two minutes yesterday when apparently tech were working on it. But now I can’t connect from webpage and see pages printed . They’ve told me 3-5 days (from yesterday ) and in the meantime refunded me two months ink costs as heading towards second month. I hear the problem with update causing deskjet model with same problem had been resolved in last day or so. 

HP Recommended

One more thing I’m going to try is taking printer around to friend’s house with different internet provider and see if that works so ruling out any security protocols put on router by EE during update . HP keep asking me to check router settings which is fair enough 

HP Recommended

Hi all thanks for your help just accessed my printer remotely and it’s showing as online . So whatever problem was it’s been fixed by remote tech or by itself (suspect the former). Hoping same for your printer.

steps I took by the way in case anyone else interested

i presses left bottom of black screen four times swiftly and did semi full reset

signed in and out of instant ink

connected via hotspot on phone to ensure not router problem 

changed dns settings via EMbedded web server EWS TO 8.8.8.8 alternative 8.8.4.4

ensured printer connected to 2:4htz Chanel on dual band router with separate ssid for 5htz and 2.4 http ensuring printer four feet from router . Also reset router to factory defaults and logged back in . Still not working but by some miracle it is s day after 

HP Recommended

@Cazza1000 I enabled web services, and it actually worked. It seems that HP has fixed things on their end.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.