Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 6220
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Our printer has been working fine until today, when we get  the message "Cartridge problem. Remove and reinstall the indicated cartridge" referring to the black cartridge. Occasionally we are able to clear this, and the printer works for a while, only for the problem to return later, and it is currently out of action again.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Malrich72,

I'd like to help!

I understand you are facing a cartridge error on the printer.

Follow the steps to resolve the issue-

Reset the printer

Reset the printer to recover from printer errors or failures.

1. If your printer has a rechargeable battery, remove it.
  1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.
  1. Unplug the power cord from the power source.
  2. Wait 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.
    NOTE: 
    HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.
  4. Turn on the printer to complete the reset.

Clean the ink cartridge and carriage electrical contacts

Remove any debris or buildup from the contacts on the cartridges and in the carriage.

1. Open the door or lid to the cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage stops moving before continuing.

2. Remove the cartridge indicated in the error message from the carriage.

• Carriages with cartridge latches: Open the latch, and then pull the cartridge up and out of the slot.

Removing the ink cartridges with latches from the carriage

• Carriages without cartridge latches: Gently press down on the cartridge to release it, and then pull it out of the slot.

Removing the ink cartridges from the carriage

3. Holding the cartridge by the sides, remove any protective tape that still might be on the contacts.

CAUTION: 

Do not touch the ink nozzles or the copper-colored electrical strip. Touching or trying to remove these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

Removing tape from the ink cartridge

4. Lightly dampen a lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then wipe the copper-colored contacts on the cartridge.

Cleaning the ink cartridge contacts

5. Lightly dampen a lint-free cloth or swab with distilled water, and then clean the electrical contacts in the carriage.

Cleaning the contacts in the carriage

6. Wait 10 minutes for the contacts to dry, and then reinsert the cartridge into its color-coded slot.

7. Repeat these steps for the other cartridge if it was indicated in the error message.

8. Close the door or lid to the cartridge access area.

If the error persists, clean the cartridge and carriage contacts a second time.

Try the single-cartridge mode

The printer you own can work in single-cartridge mode, wherein the printer will be able to print with one cartridge in the printer. Which will help us identify if its a cartridge issue or a printhead issue

To try single-cartridge mode follow the below steps:

• remove the black ink from the printer, leave the color in and try printing
  • then remove the color ink and, insert the black  in and try printing

Also, Please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Further to our original post, the online solution to replace the cartridge is not feasible, as it also states that we will not receive another cartridge on the Instantink programme until the current problem is rectified, so we are  unable to replace the cartridge to move the matter forward. This is not helpful.

HP Recommended

Hi @Malrich72,

I'd like to help!

I understand you are facing a cartridge error on the printer.

Follow the steps to resolve the issue-

Reset the printer

Reset the printer to recover from printer errors or failures.

1. If your printer has a rechargeable battery, remove it.
  1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.
  1. Unplug the power cord from the power source.
  2. Wait 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.
    NOTE: 
    HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.
  4. Turn on the printer to complete the reset.

Clean the ink cartridge and carriage electrical contacts

Remove any debris or buildup from the contacts on the cartridges and in the carriage.

1. Open the door or lid to the cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage stops moving before continuing.

2. Remove the cartridge indicated in the error message from the carriage.

• Carriages with cartridge latches: Open the latch, and then pull the cartridge up and out of the slot.

Removing the ink cartridges with latches from the carriage

• Carriages without cartridge latches: Gently press down on the cartridge to release it, and then pull it out of the slot.

Removing the ink cartridges from the carriage

3. Holding the cartridge by the sides, remove any protective tape that still might be on the contacts.

CAUTION: 

Do not touch the ink nozzles or the copper-colored electrical strip. Touching or trying to remove these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

Removing tape from the ink cartridge

4. Lightly dampen a lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then wipe the copper-colored contacts on the cartridge.

Cleaning the ink cartridge contacts

5. Lightly dampen a lint-free cloth or swab with distilled water, and then clean the electrical contacts in the carriage.

Cleaning the contacts in the carriage

6. Wait 10 minutes for the contacts to dry, and then reinsert the cartridge into its color-coded slot.

7. Repeat these steps for the other cartridge if it was indicated in the error message.

8. Close the door or lid to the cartridge access area.

If the error persists, clean the cartridge and carriage contacts a second time.

Try the single-cartridge mode

The printer you own can work in single-cartridge mode, wherein the printer will be able to print with one cartridge in the printer. Which will help us identify if its a cartridge issue or a printhead issue

To try single-cartridge mode follow the below steps:

• remove the black ink from the printer, leave the color in and try printing
  • then remove the color ink and, insert the black  in and try printing

Also, Please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Mine does the same thing, I did everything HP recommended, nothing helps.

The only thing good about it is if I take black cartridge out it will print black from the colored cartridge.

William Wolfe
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  I tried to print yesterday and the printer turned itself off.  When I turned it back on I get this message.  I have a brand new black cartridge as this is the one its saying is the problem and have installed it but the error is still there and the ink levels on my account say the black is empty when it's blatantly not and wasn't before I even put in the new cartridge.  I have tried unplugging at power supply.  I have tried taking the lead out of the back.  I have tried powering down.  I have attempted to install new drivers but 3 hours later its still saying "installing".  My warranty is out of date so what do I do next to use my printer again please?!

HP Recommended

I cant even print with just the colour? My printer isn't old. No online support if out of warranty! Tried everything but error won't clear and it doesn't recognise a new cartridge has been installed let alone the old one. Not happy!

HP Recommended

@JulieP1

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Which printer do you have? Is the Printer enrolled in Instant Ink?

Let us know 🙂

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have an envy 7134. Online support told me today they cant help as sounds like error with chip inside printer. Have tried everything 

HP Recommended

@JulieP1

I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team regarding this as this could be a hardware issue.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had this problem.  On my HP software it showed that it recognized the black cartridge, but not the color.  I am using original HP cartridges.  I took out the color cartridge and it was very messy with a lot of ink on the contacts.  I cleaned it off with a facial tissue and water.  Then I cleaned the contact inside the printer as best as I could.  I put the color cartridge back in and it printed with no problem.  So my solution was to clean the contacts on the cartridge and in the printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.