Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600
iOS

I have hit a roadblock and I am very frustrated.  I am receiving the “incompatible ink cartridges “ error. This locks the screen so I am lost.

i have tried every solution and they fail miserably.  I see it is a common issue and stems from 950 and 951 cartridges with a Z10 vs Z20 designation.  Apparently the printer locks out as it won’t recognize the Z10 cartridges.  I bought the ink, the printer in the US. Never anywhere else.

I cannot get last virtual assistant and NEVER get to telephone help option.  I am very frustrated as it seems like an easy fix if I could just get the printer reset.

Please help. Please message me with instructions on how to do the regional reset. I am falling behind and time is critical.

thanks

john

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

On the front panel of the printer go to the home screen and press the ink droplet icon at the top of the screen.  Next touch the black rectangle.  At this point a new window will open that says "installed cartridge" and "Supported cartridge".  What are the cartridge numbers listed?

HP introduced regionalized cartridges (Z10, Z20, Z30 and Z40) for the previously universal 950/951 cartridges in about January 2017.  The printer will "lock" itself to the first Zxx cartridge installed in the printer.  If you are in the US/Canada you will need Z10 cartridges, but the printer may have been locked to another region by accident. [In your case it appears you had a -Z20 cartridge installed at some time.  That has locked your printer to the -Z20 region.]  In that case you will need to have HP perform a "Regionalization Reset".  You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will need to have the full featured driver installed to generate the codes needed to reset the region. 

The regionalization reset is covered by cartridge warranty, see the document here for information.   I have also seen folks having good success posting to the HP Support Facebook page here.   I would suggest starting with the Facebook folks.

One issue I do not know - at one point the reset procedure could only be done on Windows based PC's, not Mac.  I do not know if that is still the case.  Please contact the HP Support folks through Facebook and post back here with your results, especially if you require more assistance.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

On the front panel of the printer go to the home screen and press the ink droplet icon at the top of the screen.  Next touch the black rectangle.  At this point a new window will open that says "installed cartridge" and "Supported cartridge".  What are the cartridge numbers listed?

HP introduced regionalized cartridges (Z10, Z20, Z30 and Z40) for the previously universal 950/951 cartridges in about January 2017.  The printer will "lock" itself to the first Zxx cartridge installed in the printer.  If you are in the US/Canada you will need Z10 cartridges, but the printer may have been locked to another region by accident. [In your case it appears you had a -Z20 cartridge installed at some time.  That has locked your printer to the -Z20 region.]  In that case you will need to have HP perform a "Regionalization Reset".  You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will need to have the full featured driver installed to generate the codes needed to reset the region. 

The regionalization reset is covered by cartridge warranty, see the document here for information.   I have also seen folks having good success posting to the HP Support Facebook page here.   I would suggest starting with the Facebook folks.

One issue I do not know - at one point the reset procedure could only be done on Windows based PC's, not Mac.  I do not know if that is still the case.  Please contact the HP Support folks through Facebook and post back here with your results, especially if you require more assistance.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

As of now, the FaceBook help forum basically snapped at me when I asked if they would try a regional reset.

i was told in no uncertain terms that the assistant was sending new cartridges....wasted time! 
sorry Bob...no luck for me.

HP Recommended

I would suggest you try again with the HP Facebook Support folks.  Make it clear to them that you are in the US and your printer has been (incorrectly) locked to Zone 20 and that you need a "Regionalization Reset".  Not all the agents have access to the regionalization reset process, ask to have your case transferred to an agent that understands the regionalization reset process. 

If this fails I can ask to have your case escalated, but my experience is that the escalation may take significant time to work its way through the system.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

FB help is so unpredictable.

i get replies at 5AM...then nothing all day and night.  Maddening!

HP Recommended

I will ask to have your case escalated.  This can take some time, I would suggest you keep trying the HP Support folks at Facebook in the meantime.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Bob, 

My support assistant, Ganesh, solved the issue by providing me the proper reset codes!  I can print! Reset is complete!  It took some time, but whereas I am in America, and support could be somewhere else in the world, it took some time and there were some issues with the FB messenger that were out of our control apparently.

This would NOT have occurred without you!  You gave me the directions and guidance to get this solution!  
Thank you BOB!
john

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.