Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer

I want to disconnect my printer while on vacation. I’ll be taking my laptop so HP can’t communicate with printer. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Kathla,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If you're planning to disconnect your HP OfficeJet 3830 printer while on vacation and you'll be taking your laptop with you, there are a few steps you can take to ensure that the printer won't be actively trying to communicate with your laptop during that time.

• Turn off the Printer: The simplest step is to turn off the printer before you leave. This will prevent it from actively trying to communicate with any devices.
  • Disconnect from Wi-Fi: If your printer is connected to Wi-Fi, you can disconnect it from the network. This will prevent it from receiving any print jobs or updates while you're away. You can usually do this from the printer's control panel or settings.
  • Pause Print Queues: If you're concerned about print jobs being sent to the printer while you're away, you can pause the print queues on your laptop. This will prevent any pending print jobs from being sent to the printer until you unpause them.
  • Turn Off Printer Notifications: If your printer sends notifications to your laptop, you might want to disable these notifications while you're away. This will prevent any unnecessary communication between the printer and your laptop.
  • Uninstall Printer Software: If you're really concerned about any potential communication, you could consider temporarily uninstalling the HP printer software from your laptop. This would prevent your laptop from actively trying to communicate with the printer.
  • Physically Disconnect: If you're comfortable with it, you can also physically disconnect the printer from your laptop by unplugging the USB cable.
  • Remember that disconnecting your printer might affect your ability to print remotely or receive any important documents while you're away, so make sure you consider these factors before taking these steps. When you return from vacation, you can simply reverse these steps to reconnect the printer.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I found a way to put the printer on vacation hold within my account. Thank you for your suggestion. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Kathla,

Thank you for your response, 

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.