10-21-2019 10:46 AM
I bought an OfficeJet 5258 All-in-One Printer at Costco a few months ago and it was working just fine for the past few months. Then, it started to run out of black ink, so naturally I bought a spare black ink cartridge (HP 63) to replace the old one. When I put it into the black ink cartridge slot and closed the door, there was an error message that popped up saying "Do not use SETUP Cartridges". So, I then went onto the HP website to check for any troubleshooting guides. I found the one for my specific printer and then followed it step-by-step. Then I retried the printer, and the same error still persisted. The guide then directed me here, so I'm hoping that I can get a solution. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
10-23-2019 01:45 PM
@Student32, Welcome to the HP Support Community!
Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:
Reset the printer
- With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
- Wait at least 60 seconds.
- Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
- Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
- Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.
Update the printer firmware
Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.
Clean the electrical contacts
Refer to steps 3 mentioned in this document.
If the issue persists, resetting the printer to its factory settings may help.
- The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
- I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
- In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage
Let me know how this goes.
If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee