Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
v215b Flash Drive

I have 16Gb USB Flash Drive v215b. Its showing write protected. I tried Ufix-II & other ways but my problem did not solve.

Now What I can do?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@mahen047

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

This is a great place to get support, find answers to your technical queries.

I understand you are getting USB drive is write protected on your PC.
Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?
Have you tried plugging the USB device into different USB ports?
Have you tried checking different USB devices?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Step 1:
Open RUN (Windows Logo + R) and type “devmgmt.msc” and click OK.
Step 2:
Now expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Step 3:
Attach your device which is not recognized.
Step 4:
You will see an Unknown USB device (Port reset failed) with a yellow sign in Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Step 5:
Now right-click on it and click Uninstall to remove them.
If the above steps do not fix the problem, please try the steps mentioned below.

Open Device Manager (Right Click on Windows Logo and Click Device Manager).
Now find and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. Now right click on USB drivers and click Uninstall. Do for all USB drivers one by one.
Now Restart your PC. The USB drivers are automatically re-install and solve the corrupted USB devices.
Right-click on the battery icon and click Power Options.
Click Change plan settings.
Now click Change advanced power settings.
Find and expand USB settings.
Expand USB selective suspend settings and Disable both On battery and Plugged in settings.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

DiskPart Command Prompt Utility
Hit Windows Key + X, and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu. Type disk-part, and press Enter
 Next, type list disk, and press Enter.
Next, type select disk [your disk number]
Once selected, enter the following command:
attributes disk clear read-only

Into the Registry, We Go
If none of the previous steps have solved your Write Protection error, don’t worry. We’ve still got a few more tricks in the book. Next, we’re going to edit the Windows Registry. If you’re not comfortable editing the registry, I understand. You can skip to the next section — formatting your USB drive. If that step is a little too drastic, I’d advise giving this option a try.
Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialogue. Type Regedit and press Enter. Now, navigate to the following registry location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
Look for a key named WriteProtect.
If it exists, double-click it. This will open the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value box. You can now set one of two values: 0 or 1. 1 means “Yes, write protect my USB storage devices.” Conversely, 0 means “No, don’t write protect my USB storage devices.” Set the value to 0, and then press OK.

You can download Rufus software from Google and format the USB pen drive and check if it helps.

If the issue still persists it is an issue with USB pen drive.

I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.