Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Z840
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I've been playing around with customer resolutions on my Sender. I have dual 1920x1080 screens on my receiver, so I loaded an EDID (on two Displayport ports) on the Sender to override the local monitors on it, and then I created a custom 1920x1040 resolution.

Now I can run a full dual-screen session on the sender, and because the Sender resolution is 40 pixels less vertically, I am able to see both my Sender's and Receiver's Windows Taskbar at the same time, and I can launch and switch between local and remote applications much easier.

Anyone else running this way? Any pros/cons you have found over time? Any other 'tips' like this for making the integration of Sender and Receiver even better?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

We change the personalisation settings on the remote machine to different colour settings for toolbars to suit the user and also have gpo to change the desktop image to a different colour to make it stand out. Additionally we use racked machines so disable the ability to shut them down via gpo as well so users can only log out and reboot.

We did think about unique edid to display both but found many users just wanted to have the whole screen as the remote machine. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

We change the personalisation settings on the remote machine to different colour settings for toolbars to suit the user and also have gpo to change the desktop image to a different colour to make it stand out. Additionally we use racked machines so disable the ability to shut them down via gpo as well so users can only log out and reboot.

We did think about unique edid to display both but found many users just wanted to have the whole screen as the remote machine. 

HP Recommended

Great suggestions Craig. With the racked machines I guess you just use the headless setting option?

We're caught in the scenario now with the pandemic such that we have a real mixed bag of configs - workstations were left behind on people's desks, but some took one or both monitors home and some are using their own personal monitors instead so both screens are still connected at work.

So we're still learning as we go, but it seems the option in the Nvidia control panel to load a custom EDID works well because it will override whatever limitations/restrictions may be on each machine whether it was left with two, one or zero monitors connected at the office.

Still playing around with all the screen & resolution options - the flexibility in the latest release with the pixel scaling option makes it possible to optimize just about any combo of Sender and Receiver, it's so slick.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.