Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Sender HP Z2 G5 WKS / Receiver HP Spectre 360 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Until July  when using Remote Boost I only got the main display and display "2" did not show. That is all I wanted! Now the only way I can get just the Main Display "1" is to unplug the Displayport cable from display "2" on the Sender. This does not work very well when you are not with the sender. Worse, as my laptop has 3840 X 2160 resolution, both displays share the single display and I now need a magnifying glass to see anything.  Trying to  do anything at the laptop is impossible. Surely there is a way to do this. Set Sender Display to match Display properties does not fix it. 

Only changes before this happened is that Remote Boost was "Upgraded" and I replaced the second Display with an HP X24i.

How do I get the Second display to go away? 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I would try using the receiver display properties.  You have to add these to the rgreceiverconfig file which is located in the installation directory.  If you just want the primary display (your laptop screen), you would need to setup just the one display.

Example here of a single display, landscape orientation.  This is also documented in the user guide.

Rgreceiver.Display.1.X=0
Rgreceiver.Display.1.Y=0

Rgreceiver.Display.1.Width=3840
Rgreceiver.Display.1.Height=2160
Rgreceiver.Display.1.Orientation=0

Before you connect, choose this setting for matching.  Mine is grayed out because

I don't have any display properties in my rgreceiverconfig file.

KellyRGS_0-1629303335930.png

Hopefully this resolves your issue.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

That is exactly what I tried before making the previous post.

With that in the config file Ii get a message that"  that resolution can not be used . . .  connecting using existing resolution. (paraphrasing) after connecting I then get BOTH displays next to each other across the laptop display.

I added:

Rgreceiver.Display.2.X=0
Rgreceiver.Display.2.Y=0

Rgreceiver.Display.2.Width=0
Rgreceiver.Display.2.Height=0
Rgreceiver.Display.2.Orientation=0

And got a message that width and height can not be o,

Changed width and height to 2

Got a message with "set sender display to match"  and got a message "that resolution can not be used

Set  Sender display to match receiver and got message "Display 2" will be covered by 1. Display appeared but it was only using half the laptop screen in width. 

Set "Do not change Sender display" and got only one display no error message but again the display was only covering half of the screen in width,  

Surely there is a way to only get one screen.

Are the settings in the Sender configuration files???

HP Recommended

I know the receiver properties work.  You just want the sender to show up only on the laptop and keep the second display local?  I am happy to test this for you.  I see you tagged Windows 10 so guessing that is on both sender and receiver.  Are your displays in a stacked configuration or side by side in the display settings. 

KellyRGS_0-1629317988738.png

Does your sender have NVIDIA Quadro Graphics?  What card and driver are you using on the sender?

KellyRGS_1-1629318056920.png

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

The Sender has two displays and it is the workstation. The laptop has only on display. I use it as a laptop in my lap. The WKS has the barebones intel motherboard graphics, NO Nvidia. The laptop has NVIDIA graphics and controller and a 4K display thus the high resolution.  The WKS has had two displays for months. 

This worked great up till late July. All of the configuration files in the WKS Remote Graphics Sender folder have the same date and have not changed. The Configuration files in the Laptop Remote Graphics Receiver folder have the same date, a date before I loaded the program, except now the "rgreceiverconfig" file was changed as suggested here, which has now been returned to what it was before. 

How can this app meet the needs of many different users with anywhere from on to 4 or 5  displays on the Sender and many people using a lap top with only one display? There must be a way to select what is sent. 

Rich

HP Recommended

In researching this problem I read several times about a slider on the bottom of the screen of the receiver to move between displays. My laptop is not displaying this "Slider" As this is the newest version is that something that has been removed?

HP Recommended

The slider refers to the Windows scroll bar that allows you to scroll to the next screen/display.  Using the receiver properties should only show the sender on the display you setup.  So if the laptop is your primary display, and the external display is the secondary, and you setup the properties as I have shown, and used the matching receiver properties in the receiver GUI before connecting, the sender should only show up on the laptop and the second display would show your local desktop.  If I am understanding your layout, I can test with my Spectre x360.  

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I find that making my sender headless works best when you want the ability to match any receiver display configuration.  When a sender has displays it is limited by the number or displays and their resolution capabilities.  However, since you don't have NVIDIA Quadro graphics this may be harder to accomplish, but I can check on this.    You mention this all worked great until July.  Any Windows updates that could have changed the graphic driver?  Have you tried uninstalling the sender and reinstalling to see if an update possibly has Remote Boost in a strange state?

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I am confused. 

The sender is my desktop workstation with two monitors. The MAIN display [Display1] has the program I am running and Display 2 has support information related to the program and affected by the running program. 

When working remotely I do not need the second display, and do not have another monitor to plug into the laptop.

The only updates are those that windows has auto installed, all cumulative or version updates. the version update was just last week and after this problem appeared. 

I sent about an hour testing all of the possible configuration changes that can be made on the Display Settings page and nothing affects or changes this other than "Show only 1" or "Show only 2."  Of course, the problem goes away when Display 2 is unplugged from the Displayport. It is still there if it is plugged into the Displayport and just shut off!

That reminds me. Originally, I borrowed an old VGA display, it was plugged into an adapter to convert VGA  to HDMI cable and the HDMI cable was plugged into a HDMI to Displayport adapter.  In July I replaced this monitor with a New HP X24I (w/DP connection] to match the color rendering of my ASUS ProArt Monitor.  Is this why the  RGS Sender did not think anything was plugged into Display 2 ? ? 

HP Recommended

Rather than try to sort this out on the forum, I would like to see if you would be willing to do a call with me.  Hopefully you can share your desktop on Zoom or Teams so I can see what is going on.  Let me know if this is an option, and I will reach out in a PM to get contact info I can use in Outlook.  Would prefer not to have that info here in the forum. 

Kelly

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.