Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Z2mini G5 Workstation
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

When connecting from Receiver (MacOS) to Sender (Z2 mini G5 Workstation) with ZCentral Remote Boost, you can only connect by IP address due to the difference in DNS.

I opened the UDP: 5353 port to the Sender firewall so that it can be recognized by mDNS, but the Receiver side still cannot connect with the host name. (Hostname or hostname.local)
Even though Windows Remote Desktop can now connect by host name with the above firewall settings.

In Remote Boost, what kind of settings should be made on the Sender side and Receiver side to connect to Sender from MacOS with the host name?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Default port that the sender and receiver communicate on is 42966.  If using HP Velocity, which is on by default, you would be using UDP traffic, otherwise, it would be TCP.  Are you doing port forwarding to 5353?  If so, both sender and receiver should have the same port designation per the user guide.  Refer to page 92 in the latest user guide for Remote Boost 20.2.  I would need to check my Mac receiver for settings   The sender can be changed via the SenderConfigApp.exe tool located in the default installation directory.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

For both Sender and Receiver, the port number used by Remote Boost is left at the default.
I tried using SenderConfigApp.exe to set the port number to 5353, but even if I connected as <hostname: 5353> on the Receiver side, I could not access it from Windows Receiver. I haven't tried it from MacOS Receiver.

All I have to do is change the Sender port number to 5353 and type <hostname: 5353> in the Receiver to connect, right?

Could you tell me in detail?

Since Sender is a DHCP environment and it is difficult to use its IP address, I would like to somehow resolve the name with the host name in Remote Boost from MacOS Receiver.

HP Recommended

If you are changing the default port that the sender listens and communicates on, you need to change the port both on the receiver and sender.  Let me power up my Mac and confirm steps.  Usually I have to setup port forwarding on my router on the sender that I am changing the default port on.  I am happy to arrange a call if that would be helpful.  Let me know.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I tried it in the following conditions, but I could not communicate.
・In the firewall settings of SenderPC (Z2mini) and ReceiverPC (Windows), UDP 5353 was opened for both reception and transmission.
・Enter "5353" in the port number input field in SenderConfigApp.exe of SenderPC (Z2mini) and apply
・HP Velocity was turned off with SenderConfigApp.exe on the Sender PC (Z2mini).
・HP Velocity was turned off in Remote Boost of Receiver PC (Windows)
・Attempted to connect by entering "<hostname>: 5353" in Remote Boost of ReceiverPC (Windows)

Even with the above settings, the combination of Sender-Receiver between Windows was NG, so I have not reached the stage of trying MacOS as Receiver. I don't have a MacOS PC at hand and others try MacOS Receiver.

Does it mean that RemoteBoost needs to communicate using UDP5353 in order to use mDNS from ReceiverPC (MacOS)?
Also, when I enter "5353" for the port number in RemoteBoost, does this mean TCP5353?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Are you able to create a support case for this issue?  You can do this by calling one of the support numbers, going to the HP Support website and creating a case through chat or online.  I would like to get you help, but not sure what you are trying to do is supported with Remote Boost and mDNS.  When installed, Remote Boost uses port 42966 to communicate from sender to receiver.  HP Velocity is enabled by default, and so if activated it changes the traffic from TCP to UDP.  The sender and receiver must be able to see each other on the same network for Remote Boost to work.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Can you try doing an nslookup?  If you can find the sender that way, you should be able to connect to it by hostname.  We don't officially support mDNS.  Remote Boost uses standard sytem calls for name resolution.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I applied to create a MyHPSupport account to create a support case for this issue.

I performed nslookup to Sender PC from Windows Receiver.
Nslookup searched for an in-house DNS server and it did not resolve the SenderPC name.

According to the following site (Japanese), nslookup does not seem to be able to confirm mDNS name resolution.
https://qiita.com/maccadoo/items/48ace84f8aca030a12f1

Instead, I ran Resolve-DnsName in PowerShell.
Then I was able to find the correct IP address from the hostname.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Are you now able to connect to your sender with the hostname?

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.