Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Remote Graphics Software
Linux

Hi everyone,

Our team consists of a remote worker who needs to play back some video as part of their workflow. We aim to use RGS to achieve this.

We need a minimum of 30fps. But we have only been able to operate at a maximum of ~15fps.

Network bandwidth is not an issue, we have plenty of bandwidth available.

I am unable to determine where the issue lies - the sender config, receiver config or both.

I have been following this user manual and experimenting with settings:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06206770

Our machines + OSes

The sender is a workstation, a newly purchased HP Z4, set up with Linux (Centos 7.6).

The receiver is a new laptop with decent graphics card and processor running Windows 10 home.

Currently, on our nice gigabit network, we are getting only 10-15 frames per second.

RGS is advertised to deliver 60fps. I fail to see any reason why it would not do so on our machines and network.

Config attempts

The only setting that has improved frames per second is:
Disable Advanced Compression (increase of ~5 frames per second)

The follow settings also have no effect on our fps:

Image quality setting on the receiver.

Rgreceiver.MaxImageUpdateRequests

Rgreceiver.Experience.MinUpdateRate

I have so far been unable to successfully affect the resolution sent from the sender, even by configuring it to send only the minimum. I suspect this is due to some caching or a driver on the receiving workstation.

Questions

1. Is there a way I can force the software to send 30fps?
  2. Is there a way I can view how the software is behaving in more detail?
  3. Please share with me any information on your configuration that has 30fps or greater.

Any help to get at least 30fps would be most appreciated.

Best,
Darren

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

What version of RGS are you using on both your sender and receiver?  Are there any packet inspections being done, or software that does inspections?  If so, I would make RGS an exception.  What graphics card and processor do you have in your the Z4?  We have a tool that is packaged with RGS called the RGSbugreport.  I will reach out to you separately on this as I would prefer the reports be sent to me directly. 

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Instructions for running the RGSbugreport on both sender and receiver per my email.

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi KellyRGS,

Thanks for your reply. I've answered your questions in blue. I've also included results of more configuration changes.

What version of RGS are you using on both your sender and receiver?

7.6.0.18584-1 (for rhel 7)

Are there any packet inspections being done, or software that does inspections?

We have a firewall on the network between LAN and WAN, our tests were within the LAN.

What graphics card and processor do you have in your the Z4?
Graphics card: GEForce RTX 2070
CPU: i9-7940X

We have a tool that is packaged with RGS called the RGSbugreport. I will reach out to you separately on this as I would prefer the reports be sent to me directly.

Thank you. It is quite a hefty generated bug report! (18k+ lines)

Update:

Since I posted I've done a lot of messing about with RGS and learned more about what works with our set up.
Using this configuration we are now getting 30~40fps:

• Single monitor setting in gnome display settings, 1920x1080px  resolution. (Set in Gnome's Settings >Devices > Displays).
  • HP Velocity: Disabled
  • Advanced Video Compression: Enabled
  • Quality: 65~70

We also use dual monitors for doing most of the work at previously stated ~15fps, set again at 1920x1080px resolution.

The remote worker would swap between these settings simply using the gnome settings dialogs in order to view/review video playback. I'm currently writing a script to automate this for them so that they simply click a button to switch.

After all of this, I'm actually pretty pleased with RGS. We have tested Chrome Remote Desktop, NoMachine and Anydesk but RGS has won the day for us here regarding frame rate and usability.

That being said we are having some issues. Today RGS crashed twice on the receiver end, though I could not see evidence of this in the bug report. (I don't know exactly what I am looking for though, just a bunch of errors or something.)

We'll carry on and see how it works over the next week.

Best,

Darren

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.