Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5010 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to print A4 Avery J8163 labels but my printer is unable to align the text with the labels. I have checked my printer for updates, selected A4 paper size, selected the correct MS Word label template. Any ideas, please? Printer is: HP ENVY 5010 All-in-One Printer

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Woody23 

Not all sure - worse, my perspective is based on not having the A4 paper (I am in the USA).

I can tell you what I have found.

I downloaded the j8163 template and opened it in Office Home and Business 2019 - Word

The J8163 Word template  is an older .doc filetype as opposed to .docx (used with current Word versions).

"Converting" the file (Word document > File > Info) may help, though in general, converting a template to the newer .docx format does not do the template any good (margins may change, and not always for the better).

I did not find this printer's minimum margins, though a similar model (Envy 5030) indicates the minimum margins are 3.0mm (0.1 inch) on each side and top/bottom.

Margins and Paper Feed

Assuming the Envy 5010 supported the same margin restrictions, the margins provided in the template are "OK".

Word > Document > Open Template > Layout > Margins > Click on last entry "Custom Margins"

Avery_J8163_Template_MarginsAvery_J8163_Template_Margins

The top margin is slightly different from the bottom margin and the left-right margins are different from one another, too.

In general, the paper must be loaded into the printer according to the User Guide > Load Paper (Pages 11-12)

In practice, for this printer, consider loading the label paper into the tray print side down with the top of the label sheet toward the back of the printer (away from you as you stand in front of the printer).

Think of the paper going into the printer,, making a U-Turn, then coming out the top and into the take-up tray.  IMPORTANT:  Not all printers feed paper in the same way.

Feed / Paper Orientation Not the problem?

The left-right margins in the template are within the (margin limitations) tolerance as are the top-bottom clearances.  In general, assuming the margins are supported in the printer, it is not necessary (nor warranted) to change the Custom margins set in Word.  Having said that, if the file type has been converted (.doc to .docx), the Word generated Custom margin setting created for the template  might actually end up being incorrect when printed.   ?  Best advice:  Avoid "converting" the template document .doc into the .docx format.

What about Media - Kind of Paper?

If the job is failing due to Media type (kind of paper), consider:

Select Media type = Brochure matte (assuming a matte finish on the label paper)

HP Brochure paper (in the USA) is typically 180 gsm - within the weight tolerances for many label papers from Avery.

Use the Avery Software

Finally,

Assuming the Avery software is available in your region as a Download, you could certainly try creating the label within the software and then print.  Some of the same setup is necessary - for example, you might like to select the Media type. 

If all else fails, the Avery software does seem to "know how to print" and might be worth a try.

USA: 

Avery Design and Print (Download for Desktop)

UK:

I can see where the "Start Design & Print" option can be "started" - I have not clicked into the setup to verify whether one must use the Avery software "online" or if the software can be downloaded for personal use.  Granted, I might be in the wrong spot in the UK Avery website to find the download.  ?

I offer the following Dragon document - the content is unashamedly biased to the USA version of things (Letter paper, for example, as opposed to the A4 standard).  There might be something useful to help you -- or it might be colossal waste of your time.  Smiling.

Dragon Document – Collection of Help, suggestions, and examples:

Printing Labels_Business-Cards_Cards

Print Labels, Business Cards, Cards, Booklet, Create Template/Table

Topics / Subjects, various, including:

• Preparation
  • Labels, Cards, and Business Cards
    • Office Word
    • HP Photo Creations and Avery Templates
    • Avery Design and Print (through Windows 10) and Mac
      • Print from PDF feature
    • Avery Wizard for Word (through Windows 😎
  • Printing and Printing Preferences – Notes
  • Print Booklet
    • Foxit Reader - Booklet
    • Adobe Reader - Booklet
  • Print on Inside of Greeting Card - Test
  • Additional Help (Documents and Notes)

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY 5010 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you kindly for such a detailed answer - much appreciated.

Sadly I still struggle to achieve correct alignment with the labels. Purchased cheap Cannon printer and bingo - worked first time without any changes or additional templates! 

Sorry to say the solution is a cheap but highly effective Cannon printer - bin the HP printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.