Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Re
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recycled the officejet 6500 e709n and added an officejet pro 6978.  The officejet 6500 e709n still appears in print & scan doctor list of detected devices.  There is no option to remove it.  I removed it everywhere I could find in Windows 10 and the HP software and website.  How do I get rid of it?.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@lifeisadimensio, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Reinstalling HP Print and Scan Doctor may resolve this issue.

Go to Control panel > programs and features > Uninstall the program

Clear the temp files

1. Press the Windows Button + R to open the "Run" dialog box.
  2. Enter this text: %temp%
  3. Click "OK." This will open your temp folder.
  4. Press Ctrl + A to select all.
  5. Press "Delete" on your keyboard and click "Yes" to confirm.
  6. All temporary files will now be deleted.
  7. Now repeat the steps except, replace %temp% with temp and delete all the possible files.

Restart the PC

Click here to download the latest version of HP Print and Scan Doctor.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The steps as I understood them did NOT apply to my version of Windows 10.  So, I used Windows 10 settings to delete all temporary files.  I re-installed print & scan doctor and the hp software on my PC.  My version of Windows 10 is up to date.  Nowhere else on my PC can I find any trace of the phantom printer (6500E709n, 192.168.1.7) the print & scan doctor continues to say is installed.  When my new Officejet Pro 6978 is turned off, print & scan doctor does NOT show it as installed or any other status.

My PC configuration:

Windows 10 Home

Version 1903

Installed 6/16/2019

OS Build 18362.239

Thanks anyhow.

HP Recommended

@lifeisadimensio

If you did not find HP Print and Scan doctor in programs on your PC, do not worry as it is an executable file and may not be installed on your PC. However, you will be able to run the file.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.