Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 65XXHP Printer Officejet 8740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have asked the question before, but people are not reading it correctly, I think.  My question is:  Why can card stock be used only in Tray 1 when COPYING, but can be used in Tray 2 when PRINTING greeting cards from the Internet?  Obviously Tray 2 CAN handle card stock.  I am a computer consultant and cannot understand why the software can't be changed to  let the printer COPY onto card stock in Tray 2 when PRINTING supports card stock in Tray 2!  To my logical approach, this appears to be a software programming glitch that can be easily remedied. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

IMHO. The tray 2 is designed to support 60-105 gsm paper, card stock is heavier than that and it should be used from tray 1 that is how the manufacturer planed this device to be used.

The tray 2 can handle paper heavier media like card stock, but it's not recommended, internal printer settings in factory disable copying on card stock from tray 2.

Now to illustrate the best I can, you may like my comparison but you don't need to like it.

You have a sports car ( imagine sports car to be tray 2 on the printer) would you drive your sports car offroad or on heavier terrain ( imagine offroad to be cardstock paper) ?

You could drive a sports car offroad it would drive but for how long before something happens to it or breaks down.

You have an SUV or a pickup truck 4x4 ( imagine SUV to be tray 1) you can drive your SUV offroad and on street without problems because it can handle both terrains ( imagine offroad to be cardstock paper and street to be plain paper).

Now imagine your sports car has a road detect sensor that stops him going offroad. That sensor prevents damage on the vehicle and provides customer quality long driving experience.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks for answer, but that still does not answer my question.  PRINTING to card stock in Tray 2 works.  COPYING to card stock in Tray 2 does not.  If the programmers don't want card stock to work in Tray 2, then why does it work?  In addition, when on the computer, one can choose card card stock in Tray 2 when selecting preferences.  If the programmers don't want people to use card stock in Tray 2, then why is this option available?  By the way, why wouldn't the manufacturer want to have people have the option to use card stock in tray 2 anyway?  My suggestion is that HP make Tray 2 available for card stock.  Also, the paper I use is not actually "card stock"; it is the 60-105 gsm paper anyway and still does not work in Tray 2 when COPYING.

In addition, the advertisement by HP is a bit fuzzy because the box says it supports card stock, but does not say Tray 1 only.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.