Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart B110a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After storing this printer away (safely) for a few years, I've taken it back out and connected it up to my new laptop. The cartridges are low so I installed a new black cartridge only as I only print text/Word docs.

Having set the printer up using HP's online wizard and selecting it to only print in black I ran the test print and it will only print half of the black text lines about every 3.5cm. 

Print Quality Diagnostic printout shows nice even gaps in the Black vertical test bars (nice neat horizontal white stripes through the vertical black bars). White Gaps are 5mm wide, black section printing correctly 1CM wide. Pattern is repeated like zebra stripes but just in the Black section of the Print Quality Diagnostic. Tried all HP online diagnostics. Replaced Black Cartridge. Restored defaults. Plugged and unplugged. Removed and replaced black cartridge. Nothing worked.

I read online that I should try photocopying something to see if it happens with copying also and the same thing has happened (see attached picture).

This printer has not gotten a lot of use. Very disappointing  that it has this problem. Am I doing something wrong?

copy.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Did you try cleaning the printhead?

Click here for more info.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying. I didn’t try that although I did find a solution. When printing I was selecting ‘print in grey scale’ and then selecting ‘black ink only’. I found that if I didn’t switch to black ink only (I think it says ‘high quality’?) then it prints fine. A bit odd but at least it’s printing now.

That said, I’m now finding that pdf documents will print fine and in their entirety but the document will sit in the print queue afterwards as if it hasn’t finished and stop the next document from printing. I can’t cancel the job from the print queue and have to use HP’s print/scan doctor to clear the queue. It’s really annoying!

Any help appreciated!

HP Recommended

Have you tried running a sfc /scannow from a command prompt with admin permission?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.