Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does anyone yet have a solution for getting an HP ENVY 5540 printing in colour again? Mine was doing fine until a couple of days ago and now the only page that will print successfully in colour is the diagnostics page. Nothing else gets through and I have lost any option to select 'colour' or 'grey-scale' despite what earlier HP posts have suggested.

Do I need to reload any particular driver? Has anyone solved this yet?

I'm feeling like a very frustrated David let down by another corporate Goliath.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Can you install just the basic driver using this HP file.

Remove the 5540 in Devices and Printers b4.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Can you install just the basic driver using this HP file.

Remove the 5540 in Devices and Printers b4.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

There are numerous threads/posts running on this topic and I must have worked through all of them and tried every long and detailed suggested solution.

The only one that has worked for me is to uninstall the drivers and device fully and then to restart the PC and install the original software and drivers from the CD that came with the printer.

It would appear that there is an issue with the latest drivers.  I also tried updating with the basic set as recommended and linked to by several HP advisors on this forum.

I realise this will be a short-term solution because I can't find how to turn off the auto update function without losing the Instant Ink service.

Can anyone advise how to do this.  Am I missing something? 

HP Recommended

Many thanks - this suggested solution worked first time. You are a star!

HP Recommended

Installed printer software from cd after uninstalling drivers downloaded from HP website.

This has solved the problem

HP Recommended

It appears that a recent Windows 10 update messed up the print drivers. I went to the HP site and found a link to uninstall and reinstall the print drivers. This solved the problem. BTW - Be sure to download the latest drivers (EN5540_Full_WebPack_1119.exe)from the HP website BEFORE doing the uninstall/reinstall, it will be much easier.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.