Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy 4500 Printer is asking about mac filter when you use WPA2/WPA3-Personal authentication and trying to connect to our wireless network. It says there is no mac filter when I print out printer report, it believes there is already mac filter activated and also say I have to add printers MAC-address to allowed devices list. The truth is that router doesn't have Mac Filter activated at all. It makes not possible to print. When I switch authentication back to WPA2-Personal, it immediately connects to our wireless network and no problem to print. I think the printer is confused because it thinks it's mac filter problem when it's really authentication problem. Printer looks like it supports only 2.4GHz networks, no 5GHz networks.

Lastest firmware update for this printer is from July 2018. I guess it needs new firmware update to support WPA2/WPA3-Personal that printer can just select to use WPA2 authentication and maybe WPA3-Personal. If it will not be updated again, I think we maybe need a new printer because it looks like out of support cycle for this printer. For now as workaround I have to use WPA2-Personal authentication until it's updated, but I wish to use WPA2/WPA3 soon as possible for this printer and WPA3 authentication later. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @mads1153

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

This printer only works on a WPA/WPA-2 security encryption. And, yes it only supports 2.4GHz network. This is as per design. HP has stopped manufacturing/developing software for this model printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.