Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Good morning,

I would like to print a pdf file from the program "Preview" (default in Mac systems) in B&W but appearantly it's not possible, or it is definitely not easy to achieve.
I tried from the settings but even though these are correct, the printer still prints in color (and that preview on the left side of the screenshot is colored, which it shouldn't be).

If the cartridges were cheap I wouldn't care, the real problem is that they are freaking expensive and this seems like forcing people to use them and buy new ones. I'm definitely not the first one experiencing this, it's not only this printer's problem and not only a Mac OS problem from what I could find out.

Besides my accusations, can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance.

PS: don't mind that exclamation mark next to the printer's name, it's only there because I interrupted the previous printing attempt.

Schermata 2016-09-12 alle 12.04.20.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @makkusu89, Thank you for the reply.

Yes, you can use the single cartridge mode to get the B&W printouts. You will get a black & white output for the colored parts of the original print.

Let me know how it goes. Have a nice day!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @makkusu89, Greetings!

Thank you for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. I would like to help 🙂

I understand you are having difficulty printing in B&W. I do understand that you have tried changing the settings, but please visit http://hp.care/2bYZs9P to make sure you have the right print settings.

If the changes in setting do not help your cause, I suggest you to try uninstalling and reinstalling your printer drivers. Please visit http://hp.care/2cqTjVI and follow the steps mentioned to completely uninstall the previous drivers.

Once done please go to http://hp.care/2bYZled to download and install the new drivers for your Envy 4520 printer. This should fix your issue.

PS: Your printer supports single cartridge mode. Hence if you want to completely stop printing in color you can take out the color cartridge and use only the black one.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
Hi Dvortex, thanks for your reply! I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling, but the single cartridge mode sounds like a really good option too.

Do you have any idea what happens if I try to print in color without the color cartridge? Do I get B&W or simply the page without colored parts?
HP Recommended

Hello @makkusu89, Thank you for the reply.

Yes, you can use the single cartridge mode to get the B&W printouts. You will get a black & white output for the colored parts of the original print.

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.