Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hey everyone,

I've had my HP Officejet for over a year and it always worked perfectly fine. It has a steady wifi connection. Yesterday, the printer suddenly did not respond anymore, so I asked my brother, who is kind of an It'er and he removed the printer from 'Print & Scan' in system preferences. Now, however, it won't be added anymore. Like I said, it does have a steady wifi connection, and I can see the presence of the printer when I click on the plus to add a printer, but then, if I want to add it, it says 'Unable to communicate with the printer at this time'. I've restarted both laptop and printer and even left them shut down for the night, but it all doesn't work. Does anyone know anything else to try?

Thank you very much in advance 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Elizaanne,

I understand you are having issues with HP Officejet 6700 Premium not connect to your  Macbook Pro.

Sometimes the router needs to be cycled.  I would unplug the router, turn off printer, turn off computer.

Turn back on router wait 5 min and turn on printer and computer.

Check on the printer if Wifi is SOLID.

From System Preferences, open Print and Fax or Print and Scan pane. If you see the printer listed
Click remove printer-  button. It will ask for confirmation of delete printer.
Click the Add or + button, select the printer Bonjour Multifunction not Fax. Adding that should update the drivers.

If the Printer Wifi is not solid you will have to set it up again.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer.
  2. Touch the Right Arrow to display the second navigation screen.
  3. Touch Setup , and then touch Network .
  4. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard
Then add it to you Mac 10.7. 

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to contact me if you require further assistance.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi Elizaanne,

I understand you are having issues with HP Officejet 6700 Premium not connect to your  Macbook Pro.

Sometimes the router needs to be cycled.  I would unplug the router, turn off printer, turn off computer.

Turn back on router wait 5 min and turn on printer and computer.

Check on the printer if Wifi is SOLID.

From System Preferences, open Print and Fax or Print and Scan pane. If you see the printer listed
Click remove printer-  button. It will ask for confirmation of delete printer.
Click the Add or + button, select the printer Bonjour Multifunction not Fax. Adding that should update the drivers.

If the Printer Wifi is not solid you will have to set it up again.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer.
  2. Touch the Right Arrow to display the second navigation screen.
  3. Touch Setup , and then touch Network .
  4. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard
Then add it to you Mac 10.7. 

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to contact me if you require further assistance.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hey,

Thanks for your answer! It is very much appreciated!

Although I did not switch of the modem, I switched of both my computer and the printer, that did not work, but then I went away for the weekend and when I came back, it suddenly worked again. No idea how or why. It's a mystery to me.

But still thanks a lot for your answer. If something like this ever happens again, I'll think of what you said!

HP Recommended

Hi - I want to try this solution for the same problem I am having with my printer / macbook pro, but what do you mean by 'check that the wifi is solid'?

thanks.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  I took your recommendation and I was able to print one time.  The next time I tried to print (about 2 minutes later) it could not find the printer again.  When I open the print queu it shows that the HP 6700 is a scanner,not a printer, however when I added it, it showed as a printer and indeed printed the one document.  So, do I have to shut everything down every time I want to print something?  This is not the first time for this.  I have been fighting this for some time now.  Also, like the original questioner, occasionally if I leave and come back two days later and try to print something, it will print.  Any suggestions???  This problem seems to be worse since I installed a new router.  The router is AT&T NetGear ADSL2+Router.  So far, I absolutely hate this printer. Love the features, but what good are they if I can't print.  Any help would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

Did you try Reseting Printing System and readd the printer again if its works for you please let me know. I am also having same issue but after connecting the printer through USB to Apple Airport Extreme its working fine for me.

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions given to the other user, which is my normal "MO" as this printer seems to "fall off" the network frequently. I too, am using a Netgear ADSL2+Router. I am on a MacBook Pro running OSX El Capitan 10.11.6. I have deleted the printer in system preferences, but when I go to add it back, it only adds the Bonjour Scanner portion of the printer software. 

Thank you for any assistance you can lend.

HP Recommended

I have had a problem with this printer on and off since I purchased it. Occasionally it works, but is so unreliable. Today it printed 2 of three pages, then gave me the same familiar & maddening error message: "The printer is not responding".  I have installed and uninstalled it, turned off the router, the computer, the printer, turned them back on in different sequences, unplugged the router and printer, etc. etc. I've tried so many different options that when it does work (at random times), I can't remember what I had done to make it "happy". 

I don't think it's a router problem, because my husband's computer never has this problem. He has a MacBook Pro and I have a MacBook Air...that's the only difference. He can get things to print every time, and I can email pages for him to print for me when he is home with his printer. At times however, (like today!) I need to print from my computer, as I have precisely sized images that need to be printed exactly as I've created them on my computer. My computer works wonderfully when using my son's HP printer at his home too, so I don't think it's my computer either. 

If anyone has any suggestions different from those above, PLEASE pass them along. I'm willing to try anything new before tossing it into our pond and watching it float to the bottom!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.