Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
ExHP Officejet 7612
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

HP Officejet 7612.  Receiving error message for "Ink System Failure".  I have unplugged the printer.  Replug.  Also I have taken out the ink cartridges and reinserted.  Error message 0x610000f6.  I have turned it off and back on with the same message in the que.  Can anyone give me suggestions on how to proceed?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Give this a shot:

Remove all the ink cartridges from the printer.
Disconnect any network or USB cables.
Perform a Power Reset to eliminate a possible logic or power issue:
First, make sure the printer is plugged straight into a wall outlet and not a power strip, surge protector or UPS.
With the printer plugged in and powered ON, disconnect the power cord from the printer. This will hopefully dissipate any electricity stored in the printer that could be hindering it.
Wait at least 30, to preferably 60 seconds.
If there is a power switch, turn it to the OFF position.
Plug the power cable back into the printer.
Turn the printer ON with the power switch.

Now, see if the printer comes up without the error. If it does get the error without the cartridges installed, we'll have to look at something else. But, if the error isn't there, try the next thing.

When the printer powers up and requests the ink cartridges, begin to install them one at a time and see how it responds to each one. Sometimes a bad ink cartridge can cause problems. Hopefully you can get them all installed and it works. If it works OK until all cartridges have been installed, then I suspect one or more cartridges are bad. Try replacing them all with new ones and see what happens.

HP Recommended

I did everything suggested.  Replaced all ink cartridges.  Same error message appeared. "Ink System Failure".

HP Recommended

OK, let's try this:

Get the printer to the point where you can remove the ink cartridges.

Unplug the power cord 

With the cover open, manually move the print carriage from side to side to see if it moves easily. If not, carefully take a cloth and clean the metal shaft it slides on to see if that helps. Also, there is a thin plastic strip that the carriage also has that runs through it. Carefully and gently clean that from end to end with a soft cloth dampened with water. You can also check the rubber carriage drive belt for wear or damage. If it looks OK, and it still gives the error when you power it back ON, try what is listed in this link:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Ink-System-Failure-HP-Officejet-7612/td-p/5829501

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.