Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officepro 8600 All In One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I replaced my ink cartridges and installed the new yellow one, I keep getting a message that states, " Incompatible Ink Cartridges - The following cartridges are not intended for use in this printer."  My printer has always used Printer Cartridges 950 and 951. The only difference that I see from my previous printer cartridge and the new one is the code on the top right of the cartridge. My old cartridge was CN048A  and my new NONWORKING cartridge is CN052AN.  I have tried to reset the printer, uninstalled the printer and downloaded the newest software, reset the printerhead.  It seems like the newest cartridges aren't the same as the old ones. UGHH!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @scooby8977,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @scooby8977,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with printing after replacing the ink cartridge. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

This issue could occur if the electrical contacts on the cartridge or the printer are defective.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: HP Officejet Pro 251dw, 276dw, and 8600 Printer Series - An 'Ink Cartridge Failure,' 'Incompatible I...

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed all of the steps for the hard reset. Returned all of the ink cartridges in the carriage. Same error message-Incompatible ink cartridge. Previously, I had purchased another new yellow HP ink cartridge and got the same message, so I ordered this new cartridge. After the hard reset, I cleaned the ink cartridge electronic component contact with a lint free cloth. Same error message. I cleaned the contact 3 more times and still got the same message. When I put in the old cartridge, I get a message that it's empty, and it is so it is not a problem with the printhead. The problem appears to be with the newest HP yellow ink cartridge. It appears that there is a small change in the newest cartridges and now are incompatible.  

HP Recommended

Hi @scooby8977,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.